Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Crowns

Cleaning Crowns

I know at least half of you don't clean your bores let alone your crowns, but I use a mod and seem to end up with a crusty black discolouring to the crown of my rifles - how do you guys clean your crowns as I can't get it off?

I use a shagged out green pot cleaner with bore cleaner then light oil
    paul

0000 wire wool will do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    ​same as this with a little kg carbon cleaner. soon comes up clean. dont go mad though

Wipeout on a plastic pot scourer

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    +1 you wont damage your crown with 0000 grade

I use a good squirt of 009 on a rag,seems to clean it well but I do it every time the rifle is used with the mod so doesn't really get the chance to build up much.

Let the solvent do the work. A good long soak in something suitable - each to their own - then gentle wipe off with a clean patch. Once clean, give a very light protective coating - Tetra Lube, Tuf Glide etc etc, that helps the crud from getting a grip next time.

If a couple of goes that way dont work, then escalate to the VERY MILD abrasive techniques noted above.

Many years ago I think Target Gun or maybe Guns Review ( remember them? ) had a recipe for a carbon solvent specifically for shifting such blasted on crud. However, it was likely mildly explosive and in this day and age an internet search for the ingredients will probably cause several screens at a large building outside Cheltenham to start taking a very keen interest in you!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Bore cleaner & a clean soft cloth, I found it easiest if this is done after each time the rifle is used before a deep crust forms which is very time consuming to remove.atb Tim

target gun thats a blast from the good old days i'v still got the shirts as i was sponsored by them for sg and prac-pistol on our race pistols in the comp's i used heat up jenolite and carbon- tet mix it ate the carbon away but its bad stuff on crowns or blueing and any gunsmith would slate you for useing it but it worked, when we were shooting 1'000 + lead bullets 230gr 45acp a week carbon and melted lead were big problem and the ports would clog up.
    nowdays the kg cleaner or other will remove it .

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Let the solvent do the work. A good long soak in something suitable - each to their own - then gentle wipe off with a clean patch. Once clean, give a very light protective coating - Tetra Lube, Tuf Glide etc etc, that helps the crud from getting a grip next time.

If a couple of goes that way dont work, then escalate to the VERY MILD abrasive techniques noted above.

Many years ago I think Target Gun or maybe Guns Review ( remember them? ) had a recipe for a carbon solvent specifically for shifting such blasted on crud. However, it was likely mildly explosive and in this day and age an internet search for the ingredients will probably cause several screens at a large building outside Cheltenham to start taking a very keen interest in you!
    Last edited by paul o'; 22-06-2013 at 10:07.