Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things for starting training with my clumber

Things for starting training with my clumber

Hi there,

Im going to pick my clumber up next week and with her being my first gun dog, i just want to know what basics i need to get her.

I have dogs all of my life so i don't mean just general puppy stuff as i already know what i need for her with respect to that but with her going on to becomming a gun dog, not sure if i want her for picking up or beating, ill decide on that a later date, but just the bare basics for a gun dog puppy, she is comming from a working strain too.

Plus does any one know of any good trainers for working dogs around the northwest/merseyside as we are both novices in the gun dog world.

Many Thanks

​Nathan

Personally I would just start of with getting a decent slip lead, whistle , a puppy dummy and a couple of adult dummies which are also suitable for water (some cheaper adult dummies don't float that well)
    ​you will not need anymore than that for the duration of it's training
    Wether it be a beating or picking up dog
    If it turns out to be a good dog you can add more dummies and a game bag to carry them in or if it turns out to be a bad dog
    You may need a shovel to dig out the dummies and game it buries instead of retrieving it... Lol
    Good luck with it

They make good tracking dogs as well, a couple I know used them to find a Fallow lost in very dense undergrowth, they are like bulldozers, the name clumber fits them so well, it came back with blood on its mouth and took us straight back to the deer.
    Cheers
    Richard

A very good friend of mine has one and trains to a good standard ,I'm sure he would share some insider clumber knowledge if you ever need any .pm me for his number any time in the future .
    ​norma

Probably a couple off good books if u have not already read a few, I like the james douglas 1 think the gundog retriever? easyily read, but any by joe irving or prety much anyone else most tend to say similar things, or some good dvd sets out there now, not actually seen davey lisset's, buccleuch gundogs, but been lucky enough to train with him a few times, meant to be very good and a top bloke too.
    There was a pull out booklet from the shooting times a few weeks ago was pretty good for basic's and the person who writes a weekly column is very good, ian clinton, not sure if he has any books?

Like others have said don't need much, slip lead whistle and dummies, but even old socks, tennis balls etc anything harmless really can b eused as dummies.

I'd get it used to coming to recall whistle+ name for food straight away as a pup and siting for food, and also gtit used to carrying stuff in its mouth and praising clapping it rewarding it while it has something in its mouth never be in a hurry to take it back of him

I would also strongly reccommend either training classes or lessons every now and again, makes it a lot easier, saves u aking all the mistakes i made with early dogs, unfortunately don't know any down that neck off woods. Possibly search KC pages for working/FT clubs in ur area might have training days?

let him be a puppy first mate, all you need are sitting, coming, and let him get use to loads of different noises but the most important thing initially when starting is steadiness, Clumbers need to be steady, so get him sitting and staying while you drop tennis balls around him, when hes steady you can then decide which way to go. Oh and dont forget you need to be trained also which is sometimes the most difficult thing to achieve, Remember only fools rush in, good luck matey and enjoy him
    ​Grez

Quote Originally Posted by grezzer View Post
    let him be a puppy first mate, all you need are sitting, coming, and let him get use to loads of different noises but the most important thing initially when starting is steadiness, Clumbers need to be steady, so get him sitting and staying while you drop tennis balls around him, when hes steady you can then decide which way to go. Oh and dont forget you need to be trained also which is sometimes the most difficult thing to achieve, Remember only fools rush in, good luck matey and enjoy him
    ​Grez
    Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid grezzer! Spaniels need to be encouraged to work hard and Clumbers need to be doubly encouraged. Steadiness is for much much later. For now give your clumber things to chase and balls to run after. Put as much go into it as you can because with clumbers that still may not be much! Let it grow and enjoy life. Steadiness comes at the other end of the training program. A guy I know namely Frank Geraghty Chairman of the Cambridgeshire Field Trial Society is an expert on Clumbers and I'm sure could offer you some good advice on their training. He's a nice friendly guy so give him a call if you want some GOOD advice!

Thanks ever so much for all the feed back chaps.

My dad has got 3 working dogs (drugs dogs) so have a fair amount of knowledge to hand with obidence and what not. so basic obidence will not be a problem as he entered the nationals with one of his dogs last year, came 2nd :/.

i fully intend to let her be a puppy first as i have seen first hand what they can turn out like if they are not allowed to be a pup, however she wont be having any furry toys from the likes of pets at home and all that *****. Her toys will be a dummy a tennis ball and a few chews for her as i don't want my newphews making her hard mouthed. What does any one think of spraying the dummies with pheasant scent so she gets used to the smell of them from a very young age, or will that make things difficult for me in the future when i move her on to more advanced stuff.

Stone she is comming from a working family from Ashford so im hoping she'll turn out to be a goodun, fingers crossed. I've read quite a bit about them taking a shine to burying things too.

and baguio, spaniels need to be encouraged to work? Every single cocker/sprocker/springer i have seen certainly doesnt need to be encouraged to work, and my dads had a fair few of spaniels, currently got a big chocolate dog who is turning out to be an absolute mint and my dad has hardly done anything with him, loves to work never stops just wants his ball constantly.

Country boy, all of our dogs sit and wait for their food, that's quite a big thing with me is that the dogs have to sit and wait for their food. Also any idea of how i can get her comming to recall to the whistle, would a good way to start by just putting her food somewhere where she has to walk to it (sitting and waiting before she gets it) then when she has got that in her head, i.e she walks/runs to me, sits and waits without command introduce the whistle after calling her name?

From what I have seen they need some drive putting into them.
    As said leave the steadiness till last. I believe they have it in spades.
    You are certainly a brave man to take one on.
    Probably the most important thing is to enjoy your dog.

Hi nick,

I've have always liked them, i don't know why, their sad look/dobby/can't be arsed look, i can't tell you what it is i like about them plus she isnt just going to be working dog, she is going to be a family pet too, well my dog first and foremost. I just have a soft spot for them and as i've said we have had labs/cockers/springers (dads dogs) and just wanted something from the run of the mill dog you see on the gun bus (labs/cockers/sprockers and springers).

If i make it fun for her, im sure i'll get the drive out of her hopefully anyway. Time will tell, she'll be just be 8 weeks when i get her next friday, so going to let her be a puppy for a few weeks before i start anything with her, let her play chase a ball/dummy and as i said hopefully ill get the drive out of her that way.

Time will tell.

​Nathan