Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Gun plumbers, sharing experiences.

  1. #1

    Gun plumbers, sharing experiences.

    Like any industry there are a some really good smiths and some really bad gun plumbers.
    Thought I'd share some personal experiences - intent is not to get into a name and shame libel case.

    A guy at the club bought a second hand Tikka M595 with a .30-06 rebarrel by a fairly popular "smith".
    On the first day out with the rifle the owner used some loads that came with it - not something I'm keen on.

    First round ok, second round the case head separated. Not funny but no injury.
    First assumption was a bodged hot load with some old corroded brass. The unfired had corrosion spots and I pulled one of them - it was a compressed load which while not truly indicative of hot is not a comforting sign.

    I loaded the second batch with him, N140, 155gr bullet all well within limits with new, fully prepped brass. First round jammed after firing.
    When we eventually got it out the webbing was visibly larger circumference than the case wall.

    I insisted it get it's headspace checked by someone other than builder.

    Turns out the bolt face was quite some ways from the end of the chamber meaning a completely unsupported stretch of brass.
    The oversize headspace gauge closed comfortably.

    Second experience is a rifle where the barrel unscrewed while I was taking the mod off.
    Now I fancy myself as having strong hands but that shouldn't happen.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    Like any industry there are a some really good smiths and some really bad gun plumbers.
    Thought I'd share some personal experiences - intent is not to get into a name and shame libel case.

    A guy at the club bought a second hand Tikka M595 with a .30-06 rebarrel by a fairly popular "smith".
    On the first day out with the rifle the owner used some loads that came with it - not something I'm keen on.

    First round ok, second round the case head separated. Not funny but no injury.
    First assumption was a bodged hot load with some old corroded brass. The unfired had corrosion spots and I pulled one of them - it was a compressed load which while not truly indicative of hot is not a comforting sign.

    I loaded the second batch with him, N140, 155gr bullet all well within limits with new, fully prepped brass. First round jammed after firing.
    When we eventually got it out the webbing was visibly larger circumference than the case wall.

    I insisted it get it's headspace checked by someone other than builder.

    Turns out the bolt face was quite some ways from the end of the chamber meaning a completely unsupported stretch of brass.
    The oversize headspace gauge closed comfortably.

    Second experience is a rifle where the barrel unscrewed while I was taking the mod off.
    Now I fancy myself as having strong hands but that shouldn't happen.
    Tikka M595 in 30-06? 595 is a short action is it not?
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

  3. #3
    Tikka 595 is a short action, the 695 is long action

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tunskeen View Post
    Tikka 595 is a short action, the 695 is long action
    thanks for confirming that I have both of them.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

  5. #5
    Many years ago when I lived in New Mexico, I got a call from a gunshop asking me to come look at a rifle their recently departed gunsmith had chambered. When I go there, they handed me a 308 casing that was bloated about an eighth of and inch at head and scored around it's circumference. The rifle's headspace checked perfectly but one of the employees said that he'd seen the gunsmith running the reamer into the breech end of a pre turned, pre threaded barrel blank using a brace and bit affair with the barrel held horizontally in a bench vise and working up quite a sweat doing it. The chamber looked it.

    There was another gunsmith that was asked to drill and tap a mauser .22 target rifle for seope bases so that it could be used as a competition rifle. When the rifle was delivered the scope was visibly crooked. Removing the scope and base, the customer was horrified to find eight holes drilled in the receiver and none of them where they were supposed to be. When he complained, the 'gunsmith' snarled, "Do you know how hard it is to get that hole dead center?? Dammed near impossible!" Sad that a guy with a drill press should take up such a profession.~Muir

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    Tikka M595 in 30-06? 595 is a short action is it not?
    Most likely a 695 then.
    Good that people can see the wood for the trees though.

Similar Threads

  1. How can our caring sharing government allow this?
    By RED-DOT in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 31-12-2011, 17:13
  2. Hello From Hunting Experiences
    By Hunting Experiences in forum Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-12-2011, 01:21
  3. Harkila Kodiak experiences.
    By liongeorge in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 21:37
  4. Sharing a rifle
    By lordy in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-03-2010, 00:31
  5. Spooky experiences in the woods
    By snowstorm in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 21:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •