Thread: Un-earthed from WW2

Un-earthed from WW2

I was working in a house in Leicestershire when I can across this painting of a hunter and his dog. The house was used to accommodate German POW's in the last war, and it seems one of the inmates painted this on the bare plaster wall. The wall was subsequently wood panelled, and so the painting has been covered until now. The room will soon be re-panelled, and so this image will be concealed again until who knows when. I just couldn't see it done without taking a photo. How amazing would it be if the artist was still alive and could see his work again after the passage of so many years!

That's something special and surprising to find in a normal humdrum days work.
    ​ Wonder if it was a self portrait from memory or just wishful thinking ?

Quote Originally Posted by RDG View Post
    That's something special and surprising to find in a normal humdrum days work.
    ​ Wonder if it was a self portrait from memory or just wishful thinking ?
    Hi RDG,
    I was so chuffed to see it. A little sad that it will now be hidden again. The plaster is starting to break down and crumble, so this may in fact be the last time it is ever seem. Very sad.

Is it Charlie chaplin by chance?
    ​Atb John

Interesting. If it were my room I would be asking for a hole to be left in the panelling and have the image preserved behind glass as a built in picture.

​Too bad history is covered up and neglected.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

There must be a way to remove it and preserve it for the future?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks