Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Africa or Namibia?

South Africa or Namibia?

Seriously thinking about a first hunting safari in a couple of years time. From my initial research I am drawn to either South Africa or Namibia to fulfil my dream to hunt plains game.

Any pros or cons to either place or recommendations, hints and suggestions would be gratefully received as I embark on my plans.........
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

Hi Adrian

I would say both countries are great, but totally different. Why don't you just plan two safari's one for each country?

Good luck with your planning! i will be following the thread to see the other members responses.

Gerrit jv Vuuren PH & Outfitter
    Bos en Dal Safaris- South Africa
    gerrit@ehw.co.za
    Home - Bos en Dal Safaris

Ive hunted in both countries and had a great time in both , Ive visted the Thabazimi area which does seem to be all game farms and can feel canned but around Windhoek it seems a bit more wild with more open unfenced plains.Where ever you go dont just stay with your PH , hire a 4x4 and explore . Good Luck.

I've never hunted in SA (though I have visited several times) - but I have hunted in Namibia - and Zimbabwe and Tanzania.

The latter two countries are difficult and unaffordable for the average punter but I can thoroughly recommend Namibia - great value hunting wherever you go and a great experience. I would say there tend to be a relationship between the cost and the distance from Windhoel airport. The great thing about Namibia for me at any rate is the huge sense of space, common with many places in Africa, and the very small population - not always common. I would echo the last poster - go and explore - its not very cheap to hire a 4x4 but once you have it you are sorted with everything including camping gear. As long as you have some experience of off road driving you will be fine. I have done two self-drive safaries - one last year from Vic Falls to the Skeleton Coast and back to Windhoek (3600km) and one this year with four days hunting up into the Koakoveldt right to the Angolan border.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8808786669_e53464fe89.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	29709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8819335998_e4087df509.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	29710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8819277502_a57fb8e471.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	29711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8808568009_c5b67f596d.jpg 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	29712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8877411868_f58316d264_b.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	380.8 KB 
ID:	29714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8819185388_2c586699c7.jpg 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	29713

my two tips would firstly be to look at hunting species in their native range rather than species that have been introduced into areas where they never occurred naturally; and secondly to give serious consideration to hunting in some of the larger 'concession' areas and not just the game ranches. This is just my personal preference and I'm not knocking anyone else's...

I've only hunted in SA, but have looked at Namibia. From what I can tell, and I'd be very interested to hear from those who have first hand experience in hunting both to see if I'm right, is that SA appears to be the cheapest place to hunt with Namibia in second place. Costs increse hugely when looking at Eastern Africa. Almost all areas in SA are fenced, try and find an uinfenced area in SA seems very difficult, and if anyone has any links to outfits operating in unfenced areas I'd be very interested to see them.

Namibia appears to have more opportunity to hunt in unfenced concession areas as the poster above states. It would be good to hear from any outfitters based in Namibia on this forum, as far as I can tell all the guys offering African hunts are based in SA.

I can fully understand where Jabali hunter is coming from when he says he'd prefer to hunt indiginous species in their native range. I confess I'd prefer to hunt a gemsbok in the Kalahari as opposed to a fenced area in SA, but in many cases this would not be affordable to many hunters. It would be good to see more Namibian info on here!

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    I've only hunted in SA, but have looked at Namibia. From what I can tell, and I'd be very interested to hear from those who have first hand experience in hunting both to see if I'm right, is that SA appears to be the cheapest place to hunt with Namibia in second place. Costs increse hugely when looking at Eastern Africa. Almost all areas in SA are fenced, try and find an uinfenced area in SA seems very difficult, and if anyone has any links to outfits operating in unfenced areas I'd be very interested to see them.

Namibia appears to have more opportunity to hunt in unfenced concession areas as the poster above states. It would be good to hear from any outfitters based in Namibia on this forum, as far as I can tell all the guys offering African hunts are based in SA.

I can fully understand where Jabali hunter is coming from when he says he'd prefer to hunt indiginous species in their native range. I confess I'd prefer to hunt a gemsbok in the Kalahari as opposed to a fenced area in SA, but in many cases this would not be affordable to many hunters. It would be good to see more Namibian info on here!
    I hunted with this guy some 10 years ago , Your game ranching hosts Malan and Barista Lambrecht, will have you returning, year after year, as you build your collection., had a great time .

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    I confess I'd prefer to hunt a gemsbok in the Kalahari as opposed to a fenced area in SA, but in many cases this would not be affordable to many hunters. It would be good to see more Namibian info on here!
    i must tell you hunting unfenced areas as in Zim or other countries are impossible in SA because you don't get any unfenced areas. Even in the kalahari the gemsbok and springbok are fenced. Although it is lower fences it is still fenced as gemsbok and springbok do not jump fences they creep. I know springbok can jump very high but when it comes to an fence it is dumbstruck, they will jump into the fence even if it is only 4 ft high.

just my 2cents.

But as you rightly said it is better to hunt animals in their natural habitat as you are more likely to get better specimens there as with animals introduced to other areas.

Gerrit jv Vuuren PH & Outfitter
    Bos en Dal Safaris- South Africa
    gerrit@ehw.co.za
    Home - Bos en Dal Safaris

Quote Originally Posted by Bos en Dal Safaris View Post
    i must tell you hunting unfenced areas as in Zim or other countries are impossible in SA because you don't get any unfenced areas. Even in the kalahari the gemsbok and springbok are fenced. Although it is lower fences it is still fenced as gemsbok and springbok do not jump fences they creep. I know springbok can jump very high but when it comes to an fence it is dumbstruck, they will jump into the fence even if it is only 4 ft high.

just my 2cents.

But as you rightly said it is better to hunt animals in their natural habitat as you are more likely to get better specimens there as with animals introduced to other areas.
    Yeah, I do appreciate that just about everywhere in SA is fenced. To be honest I was shocked and surprised when I visited and realised this. I think most people have romantic ideas of large, open untouched African savannagh which isn;t really the case for most visiting hunters. I've spoken to a few people who were as surprised as me since first going. Though the farm I hunted on was very large and maintains self sustaining populations which live and act naturally, so for all intents and purposes the animals are wild. Though I did very naively visit a put and take ranch for an impala which was on the small size. I'll never make that mistake again.

It's interesting how you say the better specimens come from their native range though. I would have thought that with the breeding farm operations out there, the breeders could have selectively bred, larger and better animals than found in the wild. For example, park deer here in the UK often dwarf their wild counterparts, due to better feeding and genetics.