View Poll Results: do you carry your FAC/SGC whilst out with your rifles/shotguns

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always carry it

60 49.59%
  • Never carry it

47 38.84%
  • When I remember

14 11.57%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you routinely carry your FAC whilst out?

Do you routinely carry your FAC whilst out?

[QUOTE=j0e_bl0ggs;605618]Doubt that I will sign.

If we had to carry a piece of paper for every poor bit of legislation...
    I mean do we need to carry a bit of paper regarding transporting our firearms when we go out hunting? Or bringing a box of ammo home from the shop?

This was taken from another thread about knife crime and got me thinking, how many stalkers carry their FAC whenever out with their rifle/shotgun?

In response to the quoted post surely your FAC covers this and although you don't need to carry it everywhere I would think that the majority of stalkers carry their FAC whilst out and about (especially when buying ammo as it'd be difficult to purchase it without) to prove to anyone who has an authority or necessity to see it.

On the odd occasion that I have gone out without mine I have wondered what would happen if I was stopped by the police, or neighbouring landowner, landowners family member, member of the public, anyone who had a genuine reason to make sure I wasn't trekking around with an illegal firearm etc. Would they take the word of a total stranger carrying a firearm who says they're allowed to have it or would they err on the side of caution and seize it (obviously seizure etc relates to police officers, possibly PCSOs depending what powers conferred on them by the CC) until an FAC or other proof could be obtained?

In todays blame culture I wouldn't expect the police or anyone for that matter for put their job or (with corporate manslaughter and negligance laws) their freedom on the line for a stanger when they have the choice of doing the "corporately correct" thing to do and not having their ar$e nailed to the wall when something goes wrong down the line and someone needs to be blamed.

Always have the original in the car, or luggage if away, I also always carry driving licence/logbook/m.o.t./insurance for whatever vehicle I'm using, or likely to use, pain in the ar*e going to a police station to produce!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

No, the original FAC is in the safe at home. Simply because of rain, mud, blood..and the risk of loosing it.
    However I always carry a COPY.

I believe the Law as it stands doesn't demand you have the original FAC on your person while out shooting, it simply demands that you should be able to ' produce it'. Which I can , if requested, but only eventually. In addition to the FAC copy I carry ID such as my Drivers License, so in the unlikely event the Police does a check they can quickly establish my identity and check that I am the real me and that Firearms are registered to my address.

Theoretically the Police can confiscate any fire-arms and amo you carry if you can't produce the ORIGINAL FAC but I believe that with instantaneous checks by radio and also via your car reg. no. there is no need for them to use those powers, if you have done nothing wrong.

I generally don't if Im local to home , mainly due to British weather , I dont want to have to send in a soggy mush and explain every few months, also the Rozzers can check you out via the radio if they really have to, shame we cant get SGC/FAC`s in credit card format like some European countries.

Another thing to consider with carrying a photocopy,........... try buying ammunition, or primers if the need arose, or a good deal came your way?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

+1 kept in a safe place ie in safe , but i have a laminated copy of both in eack gun bag with copy acrossed in big letters, but a pnc brings up that you are a holder anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    No, the original FAC is in the safe at home. Simply because of rain, mud, blood..and the risk of loosing it.
    However I always carry a COPY.

I believe the Law as it stands doesn't demand you have the original FAC on your person while out shooting, it simply demands that you should be able to ' produce it'. Which I can , if requested, but only eventually. In addition to the FAC copy I carry ID such as my Drivers License, so in the unlikely event the Police does a check they can quickly establish my identity and check that I am the real me and that Firearms are registered to my address.

Theoretically the Police can confiscate any fire-arms and amo you carry if you can't produce the ORIGINAL FAC but I believe that with instantaneous checks by radio and also via your car reg. no. there is no need for them to use those powers, if you have done nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    +1 kept in a safe place ie in safe , but i have a laminated copy of both in eack gun bag with copy acrossed in big letters, but a pnc brings up that you are a holder anyway

I know a PNC shows you as a FAC holder but other than the licensing department (which only work office hours) do the general police officers have access to the computer system that shows your cert number and what firearms you are entitled to carry? I know in Sussex that the general bobbies don't, so is there anyway to check that the actual rifle you're carrying is the one you're allowed to have? As most of us stalkers keep pretty unsocial hours in the pursuit of deer I wonder if they can check it out at 4am on a Saturday?

generally wilst out lamping or when stalking on someone else's land I do. I may not always take it if i am local and just popped out for a walk with the shoty say. But i have scanned copy's of my FAC, DSC1, and permissions which I have on my phone. any probs its all in my pocket.

I carry a photograph of FAC and SC and my letters of permission in my iPhone.

I carry copies of my certificates in the glove box of my car/landrover but I do not carry anything on my person. I think the shooting organisations should push the idea of creating a firearms ticket in a driving license style card.
    Last edited by woollyback; 23-06-2013 at 12:32.