Thread identification

sprocker

Can anybody please help me to identify the thread on my new rifle?

The rifle is a Sauer 202 Elegence in .243, I think the thread is HALF INCH UNEF but just want some help in confirming before I order a MOD for it.

049.jpg

The rifle on the left is the Sauer and the rifle on the right is my Ruger which has HALF INCH UNF for comparrison.

As you can see the thread on the Sauer is finer.

Thanks.

Factory threaded. (Typically 14mm x 1, no spigot, although larger diameter barrels than normal may have a proportionally larger thread.)

If the one on the right is 1/2", the one on the left is certainly not.

If it is a factory threaded Sauer, it is most likely 14x1. Get it measured by someone who know how to.

sounds like others have looked this up for you aswell so below is the
sauer blurb

Most Sauer rifles will come, or can be ordered from the Factory, already threaded. (Typically 14mm x 1, no spigot, although larger diameter barrels than normal may have a proportionally larger thread.)
Please feel free to contact us in person for advice on this subject, and why not read the important notes on the care and maintenance of moderated rifle, as featured on this site. It could save you time money and accuracy.
from ivythorn site
Ivythorn Sporting
Ivythorn Farm
Ivythorn Lane
Nr. Walton
Street
Somerset
BA16 9RH

01458 447 120 07970 151 321 Steve Beaty

If the one on the right is 1/2", the one on the left is certainly not.

If it is a factory threaded Sauer, it is most likely 14x1. Get it measured by someone who know how to.

Last edited:
Look at the manufacturers spec for that model and it will tell you what thread it is, or in the handbook if you have one. Failing that just google it.

Might not have been factory threaded, so don't bother looking up anything other than the address of your nearest RFD who should have the kit to check for you

I dont know if it is factory threaded as its secondhand?
I have checked the handbook and altough it is in german there is nothing obvious about the thread?

What is the diameter of the thread ?

It looks either M14x1mm or M15x1mm

Without knowing the diameter there is no point speculating - I suggest taking the weapon to an RFD with measuring device and thread pitch gauge for confirmation (or an engineering works)

Last edited:
defo looks like a m14 look how fine the threads are. to be sure i would get it checked though. otherwise its a pain in ass if mod is wrong

If you put a rule against your pic the the thread ratio is 5:7 = 20:28. half inch UNF has 20 tpi and half inch UN Extra Fine 28 tpi. I reckon you are correct, usual caveats apply.

Last edited:
Can anybody please help me to identify the thread on my new rifle?

The rifle is a Sauer 202 Elegence in .243, I think the thread is HALF INCH UNEF but just want some help in confirming before I order a MOD for it.

View attachment 29666

The rifle on the left is the Sauer and the rifle on the right is my Ruger which has HALF INCH UNF for comparrison.

As you can see the thread on the Sauer is finer.

Thanks.
Looks like M14x1 to me. If you want, I can post you my m14 thread protector to try it with if you like, as long as you send it back.

Regards
​Pete

Looks like M14x1 to me. If you want, I can post you my m14 thread protector to try it with if you like, as long as you send it back.

Regards
​Pete

Thank you very much Pete that is a kind offer, If I cant work it it by the weekend I may well take you up on the offer.

Thanks.

Back