bringing scopes back from the USA

Siggy

Dear All,

Some advice please - with Homeland Security being what it is, I am aware that there is a restriction on bringing anything military back from the US. I'm having to travel to the US soon for work and want to take advantage of the lower prices and get a new scope (just a simple 3-12x 50 hunting scope - no mil dots or such like). However, if it is just going to be impounded by customs on the way back there isn't much point.

Anyone know the score or know where I can get advice?

​Thanks

From "the horses mouth" (via Gitano on here).

Thank you for electronic message of October 26, 2010, to the
Transportation Security Administration Contact Center asking about the
transport of a reloading press, a powder scale, and other items aboard
commercial aircraft.

The reloading press, dies, powder scale, empty un-primed brass
cartridge cases, bullet heads, rifle scopes, and bullets are permitted
in checked baggage. We do recommend, however, that you carry the rifle
scopes through the screening checkpoint since these items are permitted
in the aircraft cabin. Doing so would afford the item better protection
against potential damage.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely yours,

Chad Bash
Acting Deputy General Manager for Mission Support
Office of Security Operations

​Unquote

:thumb:

PS Print it and take a copy with you. I do.

Last edited:
No problem with just taking them in your hand luggage. Like many people I've bought scopes direct from the US, delivered straight to my front door. Happy shopping !

I visit the states every year and have never had a problem, last yr I brought back, 1 knife, 2 scopes, 5 mags , various clothing items, all in my hold luggage, no problems either end.

I visit the states every year and have never had a problem, last yr I brought back, 1 knife, 2 scopes, 5 mags , various clothing items, all in my hold luggage, no problems either end.

If you dig deep enough on t'interweb I think you will find you are not allowed to take magazines out of the US because guns & gun parts ain't allowed without an export licence.

If you dig deep enough on t'interweb I think you will find you are not allowed to take magazines out of the US because guns & gun parts ain't allowed without an export licence.
I had my bags inspected at customs overthere last sept and had no problems.
Thanks I will check it out before this sept,they were .22 mags

Last edited:

Like a lot of others on the forum, I buy stuff from the States regularly via the internet without any problems.

Gun parts (including magazines) do not generally require an export licence if you keep the order total below $100.

If you encounter any issues, check out some of the Canadian retailers - they are not subject to quite as many restrictions when exporting.

Back