Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: barrels

  1. #1

    barrels

    Can you purchase replacement factory barrels ( remington 700) instead of going down the precision aftermarket route ?

  2. #2
    most rifle smiths will have a few sitting in the corner from semi custom builds, I know Riflecraft use to even advertise prices to fit secondhand or new factory barrels.
    Atb Matt

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Lancs / Cumbria Border
    Posts
    1,805
    Personally, I wouldn't bother, even if they were available.

    Even a pulled barrel from a new rifle used for a donor action would require some machining / re chambering, by the time the work had been completed including proof the likely costs would be similar to that of fitting a good quality aftermarket barrel.

    ​False economy in my view.

  4. #4
    Yep Riflecraft had according to what they chap there told me, a 50 gal drum of Remington take off barrels, so if you want one then talk to them.

  5. #5
    New ones from here are cheap enough and you won't have to worry about it's history?

    http://www.bergarausa.com/store.php

    There is some tie up / part ownership with Shilen so they are quality products and you can buy from Spain to avoid all the US walhalla?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

    "HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).



  6. #6
    i bought a s/h sako 75 with a remmy takeoff barrel fitted by riflecraft, purely with the intention of having it rebarelled. i did shoot it, just out of curiosity, and it returned groups that some would deem acceptable, about 2" at 100y if i recall with good quality handloads, but no load development for that specific rifle.

    shoots ok now though with a proper barell fitted by a half decent smith.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    New ones from here are cheap enough and you won't have to worry about it's history?

    http://www.bergarausa.com/store.php

    There is some tie up / part ownership with Shilen so they are quality products and you can buy from Spain to avoid all the US walhalla?
    It was reported the Mr Shillen visited Bergara BARRELS on a consultancy type visit to advise on manufacturing process only, did he buy into the company then?
    They are produced in Spain in the first place. so very cheap and easy to get hold of but I would spend just a little more on another brand just my opinion.
    Last edited by patjack; 24-06-2013 at 12:56.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    It was reported the Mr Shillen visited Bergara BARRELS on a consultancy type visit to advise on manufacturing process only, did he buy into the company then? They are produced in Spain in the first place. so very cheap and easy to get hold of but I would spend just a little more on another brand just my opinion.
    A little more than a visit -

    http://www.bullseyegroup.net/portfol...alog%20V17.pdf

    but I had read somewhere he has subsequently increased his interest beyond the manufacturing consultancy. If I can find that article again I will post a link to it.

    Also, I do know a very good rifle smith in the UK who is using them with superb results.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

    "HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).



  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    A little more than a visit -

    http://www.bullseyegroup.net/portfol...alog%20V17.pdf

    but I had read somewhere he has subsequently increased his interest beyond the manufacturing consultancy. If I can find that article again I will post a link to it.

    Also, I do know a very good rifle smith in the UK who is using them with superb results.
    He's been working along side them? very little else in the article. The original you tube footage shows him just visiting the factory and was paid to visit and advise them on production, things might of changed recently but untill they start winning matches and become consistant there is so much choice with barrels and do they work out that much cheaper not really and when investing in a semi custom rebarrel job there is so little in the price most people want a good name brand especially when and if it comes to resell value.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie-hunter View Post
    Can you purchase replacement factory barrels ( remington 700) instead of going down the precision aftermarket route ?
    I think it can easily be done, especially with a remmy as one only needs to downsize a oversized recoil lug to headspace the new barrel. No re-chamber required.
    I know of one precison rifle smith that uses spacers without the recoil lug bit to headspace. He claims the go/nogo gages are so lousy nowadays that he has an arrangement with the proofing agency that they fit the spacer on the barrel that "their" gages work with. Saves sending back and forth.
    Most rifles in this world have been made by fitting pre-chambered and pre-threaded barrels. These only get headspaced when fitting.
    I would have no problem with pre-chambered or pre-threaded but have no time for hammer forged barrels.
    edi

Similar Threads

  1. Barrels
    By remmy243 in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 14-03-2013, 16:03
  2. Barrels
    By charlie-hunter in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 14-01-2013, 14:26
  3. For Sale barrels
    By borden in forum Firearms
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-06-2012, 22:27
  4. Bi-Pods used with free floated barrels & bedded barrels
    By Brithunter in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 23-03-2010, 22:49
  5. BARRELS
    By swampy in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-06-2008, 19:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •