Thread: Best deer feeder's

Best deer feeder's

Well I've been up the permission today and put out 2 salt blocks, poured a load of molasses over them and down the stumps I put them on, as well as on near by stumps that were covered in moss.

I then poured what was left of the molasses onto a dead log standing horizontal about a food off the ground that was covered in moss, first time I have fed / baited up here.

Have my new wild life camera set - up recording and taking pictures so should all go well I will be looking to possibly put a feeder up there and was wondering what the best type would be ?

The ground is moist ground, sloping down wards, it is totally covered in vegetation / forestry , thick dense area of tree's that have grown wild for the last 30 odd years, and then comes into a sort of meadow, running down hill , the ground is grown with rushes, reeds, flowers and all sorts of knee / waist high vegetation on the meadow and seems to collect a lot of water running off a small stream right down the hill side.

Now I have a local farmer that has tons of Barley , is this ok to feed ?

What would be the best way to actually feed it ? Budget is also a concern so not looking to spend tons of expensive feeders.

Appreciate any advice that can be offered

Hi i dont use feeders just for deer they just help them selves from the pheasant feeders mostly ones with mesh in th bottom but allso spring type and usually wheat but they do take barley.Dave

I use one of these. Simple to make and easy to set up.
    6 inch plastic pipe,with a Y junction at the bottom. lid top and bottom hey presto! a perfectly good feeder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0437.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	29693

Quote Originally Posted by 2434me View Post
    I use one of these. Simple to make and easy to set up.
    6 inch plastic pipe,with a Y junction at the bottom. lid top and bottom hey presto! a perfectly good feeder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0437.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	29693
    Cheers mate, how much would 1 of them cost to make ? Can see it working well with Barley

6 foot of plastic waste pipe. (found mine at the back of a farm! enough to make 3)
    Any size of pipe could be used.
    Y junctions were about a fiver each ?
    Lids were fittings for that size pipe as well, maybe a couple of pounds each.

Small stake under the feeder (you can see it in the picture) to support the weight.
    A bit of old wire to tie it to the tree.

I kept it off the ground so the pheasants and rabbits couldnt reach it !

A few quid should make one as long as you can find a few bits.

Google "deer pipe feeders", click on images and a load of different styles on the same theme come up.
    Last edited by 2434me; 24-06-2013 at 06:49.