DSC 1 done :)

The tramp

Hi all,
I'd just like to do a quick write up about my DSC1 that I have just done this weekend.

7weeks ago,
Receive a phone call from Malcom at Jelen Deer Services, with the great news that I was one of four lucky people to have had our names drawn from the hat for the free DSC1 course.
To say I was happy, would be an understatement, so details were exchanged, and the date booked, 21/06/13.

Up until this point I had a little experience on roe, but not much, so not a complete novice, but not far off being one.
Within half an hour my login details were emailed to me, to enable me to get logged into the 'Interactive Learning Center' on the Jelen web site, so I got home and logged in.....

...oh burger, fair bit more to this than I thought, so I did a few sample test pages, and I fair'd quite well in the 'common sense' categories, safety, ballistics, meat hygiene etc,

but 'seasons' !!!! No way! Roe, no problem, but the rest, that just seemed to be a minefield of confusion,
deer ID, roe, yep, muntjac, yep. But reds, sika, fallow, and even cwd, I didn't have a clue. I'd seen some 'Fallow Stags' before, but, as the 'stags' shows, I hadn't a clue.

Anyway, my course materials turned up next day i n the post, so I got reading....

Two weeks ago,
Email from Jelen,
'Here's a mock test paper for you', which I couldn't complete due to 'other' reasons, but as I understood, by doing it, and sending back my answers, it gives the crew at Jelen chance to see where I, and any others of the candidates due on the course, have any particular weak points.

Friday 21st, 1700

Arrive at Jelen HQ,
Feeling a bit apprehensive at this point, but once we all got introduced to each other, candidates and Jelen crew, we started.
Im not going to go into the finer details of 'what's and how's ' of the course, or the content, but left there on the Friday evening feeling a bit happier with it all, the home study I had done had been better than I thought.
Sat am
Back to Jelen HQ, more classroom work in the morning, then a good hot and tasty venison casserole for lunch, then we headed out to the range,
my turn came, three shots into the zero target, nice tight group, 1/2" to the right as I'd over corrected for the blustery 15-26mph winds, then shot the deer target, yep, happy with that, and happy with my zero.
Back to the classroom for a bit more, then home.

Sunday am
An hour or so in the morning before the assessor rocked up. Then it began, the test is underway......

...after doing the classroom parts, we headed out to the range again, this time for real.
First shot.........miss !!!!!! Eh!!
Second shot (thinking I messed up)....miss!!
Third shot, still on the edge of the 4" target, I have to re-shoot, make a few adjustments to the scope,
first shot, 3 o'clock '8' ring
second , 3 o'clock '8' ring
third, same, all touching, that'll do for now, then the deer target, all done with no dramas, then head back to hq, then.....
...that's it. Done.

Now, although I've kept it short, what I must add, there were several of us in the group who were pretty apprehensive at the start, but thanks to the crew, and the way they 'do their stuff', the Jelen crew not only somehow got me to remember stuff I though I would never do, but at the time of doing the actual written assessment, felt at ease and although I have to wait for the results, I'm pretty confident that I have passed the assessment, and not by 'just scraping through' but with a good result.

If anybody is thinking of doing the DSC1 soon, I can, and will recommend Jelen. I know there are people who don't think it can all be 'crammed' in to the 'short' (time wise) course that jelen do, but I can assure you, nothing is scrimped upon, but you do need to do some home study, and as long as you do the best you can from home, the 'loose ends' and 'tangles' all get tidied and sorted by Mike, Malc, Norm and the rest of the Jelen staff.

Now, I know that some will think, 'hey, you had the course for free, of course you are going to be happy and give lots of praise',
but, I'm not going to get anything else for free, wether I praise Jelen or not, so have nothing to gain by doing so, and nothing to lose by putting Jelen down, if needed. So I have given my honest opinion on the course. In fact, there is one thing....

...where were the chocolate digestives Mike ??

And now, my thanks, cheers Mike and the rest of the crew for the way you all make the course work as it does, and thanks Jelen for the DSC

​Pete

Second that Pete , what a great weekend ! Even the weather held out for us
fingers crossed we passed but I too feel confidant we have . I payed for my corse and would recommend Jelen courses to .MONEY WELL SPENT
many thanks to all the staff at Jelen

Aaron

Well, seeing as you two have posted up, I won't start a new thread to say how good the course was. But it was great...estate rifle aside....ahem. The ILC & the ability to have a practice shooting session was why I went to Jelen and it proved to be a good investment.

Thanks for the lifts to the range Tramp, and it was good meeting you and Aaaron, and knowing there are other Parker Hale enthusiasts out there!

The ILC (online learning zone thingy) was invaluable. My recommendation to anyone is to go with Jelen and to swot up like heck on dates...

Colin.

Oh, and I paid for my course.

Last edited:
Now the long wait.... Still for me three weeks on business in India will keep my mind off the results. Good luck.

Nice bunch of guy's and girls both candidates and staff at Jelen.

Cris

Hi all,
I'd just like to do a quick write up about my DSC1 that I have just done this weekend.

7weeks ago,
Receive a phone call from Malcom at Jelen Deer Services, with the great news that I was one of four lucky people to have had our names drawn from the hat for the free DSC1 course.
To say I was happy, would be an understatement, so details were exchanged, and the date booked, 21/06/13.

Up until this point I had a little experience on roe, but not much, so not a complete novice, but not far off being one.
Within half an hour my login details were emailed to me, to enable me to get logged into the 'Interactive Learning Center' on the Jelen web site, so I got home and logged in.....

...oh burger, fair bit more to this than I thought, so I did a few sample test pages, and I fair'd quite well in the 'common sense' categories, safety, ballistics, meat hygiene etc,

but 'seasons' !!!! No way! Roe, no problem, but the rest, that just seemed to be a minefield of confusion,
deer ID, roe, yep, muntjac, yep. But reds, sika, fallow, and even cwd, I didn't have a clue. I'd seen some 'Fallow Stags' before, but, as the 'stags' shows, I hadn't a clue.

Anyway, my course materials turned up next day i n the post, so I got reading....

Two weeks ago,
Email from Jelen,
'Here's a mock test paper for you', which I couldn't complete due to 'other' reasons, but as I understood, by doing it, and sending back my answers, it gives the crew at Jelen chance to see where I, and any others of the candidates due on the course, have any particular weak points.

Friday 21st, 1700

Arrive at Jelen HQ,
Feeling a bit apprehensive at this point, but once we all got introduced to each other, candidates and Jelen crew, we started.
Im not going to go into the finer details of 'what's and how's ' of the course, or the content, but left there on the Friday evening feeling a bit happier with it all, the home study I had done had been better than I thought.
Sat am
Back to Jelen HQ, more classroom work in the morning, then a good hot and tasty venison casserole for lunch, then we headed out to the range,
my turn came, three shots into the zero target, nice tight group, 1/2" to the right as I'd over corrected for the blustery 15-26mph winds, then shot the deer target, yep, happy with that, and happy with my zero.
Back to the classroom for a bit more, then home.

Sunday am
An hour or so in the morning before the assessor rocked up. Then it began, the test is underway......

...after doing the classroom parts, we headed out to the range again, this time for real.
First shot.........miss !!!!!! Eh!!
Second shot (thinking I messed up)....miss!!
Third shot, still on the edge of the 4" target, I have to re-shoot, make a few adjustments to the scope,
first shot, 3 o'clock '8' ring
second , 3 o'clock '8' ring
third, same, all touching, that'll do for now, then the deer target, all done with no dramas, then head back to hq, then.....
...that's it. Done.

Now, although I've kept it short, what I must add, there were several of us in the group who were pretty apprehensive at the start, but thanks to the crew, and the way they 'do their stuff', the Jelen crew not only somehow got me to remember stuff I though I would never do, but at the time of doing the actual written assessment, felt at ease and although I have to wait for the results, I'm pretty confident that I have passed the assessment, and not by 'just scraping through' but with a good result.

If anybody is thinking of doing the DSC1 soon, I can, and will recommend Jelen. I know there are people who don't think it can all be 'crammed' in to the 'short' (time wise) course that jelen do, but I can assure you, nothing is scrimped upon, but you do need to do some home study, and as long as you do the best you can from home, the 'loose ends' and 'tangles' all get tidied and sorted by Mike, Malc, Norm and the rest of the Jelen staff.

Now, I know that some will think, 'hey, you had the course for free, of course you are going to be happy and give lots of praise',
but, I'm not going to get anything else for free, wether I praise Jelen or not, so have nothing to gain by doing so, and nothing to lose by putting Jelen down, if needed. So I have given my honest opinion on the course. In fact, there is one thing....

...where were the chocolate digestives Mike ??

And now, my thanks, cheers Mike and the rest of the crew for the way you all make the course work as it does, and thanks Jelen for the DSC

​Pete

Chocolate digestives are bad for you Pete! ... So I ate them to prevent you getting fat like me!!!:D

Well, seeing as you two have posted up, I won't start a new thread to say how good the course was. But it was great...estate rifle aside....ahem. The ability to have a practice shooting session was why I went to Jeleb and it proved to be a good investment.

Thanks for the lifts to the range Tramp, and it was good meeting you and Aaaron, and knowing there are other Parker Hale enthusiasts out there!

The ILC (online learning zone thingy) was invaluable. My recommendation to anyone is to go with Jelen and to swot up like heck on dates...

Colin.

Oh, and I paid for my course.

Hi Colin,

Good to hear you had a great time with us this weekend. We'll be doing some investigatory work on the Sauer 200 tomorrow. The rifle has been shooting spot on since we got it, so we'll have to find out why it has suddenly decided to space rounds out!

I'll let you know what the problem is.

Regards,

​Mike.

Back