Smashed jaw

baguio

Culled a roe buck a couple of weeks ago at 19:00hrs that had been shot through the jaw within the last 12 hours. Definitely poachers shooting from the road! Jaw totally smashed with an in and out hole which showed no signs of starting to scab over. The rumen was 3/4 full. Clearly this deer could not ruminate but can anyone tell me if the rumen would have gradually emptied through the other stomachs anyway or if it would have stayed 3/4 full until the poor thing died of starvation?

Regards

Baguio

Well done Baguio for ending its suffering..

The thought of an animal starving to death with its jaw blown off doesn't sit well with me atall

Thanks Apache, I assume then that the ruminating just ensures a better break down of the vegetation already eaten rather that a necessity then? Also, could you advise me on how long a roe rumen full of herbs and grass would take to empty please. We're trying to work out what timeish the poaching took place.
And pheasant Sniper, it ****ed me off big time. A friend of mine who has over 3 acres of rough garden and woods had a fallow buck that has lived around the garden for 18 months. It's wild but he could nearly hand feed it carrots after a year of taming. A week after I shot this roe he found it shot across the rear end top of back. It had dragged itself back to the edge of his garden. He obviously had to get out his .270 and end its suffering! Lots of poaching going on in Hampshire and Wiltshire sadly. Just so hard to catch them!

All the best

Baguio

Last edited:
24-48 hours of not eating will significantly empty the rumen, but not totally.

High adrenaline will delay stomach emptying.

Difficult to say really.

Back