Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primers for .270

Primers for .270

This may be a silly question...

Has anyone ever had issues with certain primers in 270 cases? I've been having the odd misfire and hang-fire on my 270 home loads. I've used different powders (H414/H4350/H4895), the 4895 was the worst. Checked the rifle and bolt, all ok. Looked at everything under the sun, now left with the conclusion that it's down to the primers. I'm using CCI large rifle primers, anyone else had this?

Just to make sure it wasn't a rifle issue, I put through 40 rounds of factory and it never missed a beat.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks!

Scott
    Are your reloads correctly resized? I've certainly found it quite easy to resize some of my cases too much.
    Regards
    ​JCS

All full length sized. I have used some new cases too...

I have used cci for both my 270 and use the same powders i have not had a single one yet so i cannot help really just to tell you i have not had that issue,atb wayne

ps you dont say if the primers are all the same batch have you tried different boxes?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    This may be a silly question...

Has anyone ever had issues with certain primers in 270 cases? I've been having the odd misfire and hang-fire on my 270 home loads. I've used different powders (H414/H4350/H4895), the 4895 was the worst. Checked the rifle and bolt, all ok. Looked at everything under the sun, now left with the conclusion that it's down to the primers. I'm using CCI large rifle primers, anyone else had this?

Just to make sure it wasn't a rifle issue, I put through 40 rounds of factory and it never missed a beat.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks!

I would still strip the bolt & check for any dirt ! Also check the depth of the primer pockets ? Any pics of misfire cases?

If I have my choice I ALWAYS use CCI LR primers specifically CCI200's !

Also have a supply of CCI LR BR as well as some Federal LR .

Never had any problems with them in my own rifles .

However when loading for a friends sons rifle I did have ignition problems with the CCI200 . However the gun had just been reblued and I suspect thee was still some crap inside the bolt husing most likely causing the spring to not strike as hard . I switched over to the Federal LR and had no more problems with that rifle . A year or so later loaded more with the CCI200 and have since had no more problems hence my reasoning that perhaps some trash hendered the primer strike . The rifle in question was a 1980's Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight in 257 Roberts .

Some folks have stated the CCI primers are harder then the Federal and Winchester primers . I personally cannot say nay or yeah on this . But based on what I assume was light hammer strikes with the afore mentioned Winchester 70 in 257 Bob the hardness of the metal in the CCI primers versus the others may have merit . And that is as I assume the rifle had a weak strike until the crap got out of it and the Federal primer was easier to set off .

I would suggest taking your bolt apart cleaning it and taking an air hose and blowing the ever loving heck out of the inside of the bolt body .

I use CCI200's in 270 and 243
    must be over 2000 or so now since starting reloading, never had a misfire.

I would eliminate mechanical issues before looking at primer variance

do you have any of the struck primers in a case to show us?
    I think what JCS is referring to is not whether the cases are FL sized but how much you are bumping the shoulder datum point

oversize them and you instantly have a headspace issue that can/will result in primer issues

SD Regular
    I suspect that somewhere and somehow you've contaminated your primers...or they have been contaminted elsewhere.

Assuming you are getting good strikes on the primers, then the primers themselves may be the problem.

Is it possible you contaminated the primers with a little oil or solvent? Primers are pretty vulnerable to oil.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......