Thread: Carrying Ammunition with the Rifle on overseas Flights

Carrying Ammunition with the Rifle on overseas Flights

Hi Guys,
    I am Travelling to Germany for a Boar Hunt over a weekend, I am travelling in Hunting Clothing/Boots with only hand luggage for civvies and a 'checked in' Rifle case containing Rifle, bipod, knife.

Can I put the ammunition (say 40 rounds) in a locked cash box within the Rifle case so its in the hold - anyone done this ?

I think the airline might frown on me keeping it in my hand luggage & I don't really want to pay an extra 50 for additional baggage I don't really need as I can get all I need for the weekend in my hand luggage.

thanks in advance for your advice

FlyBoy270

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy270 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I am Travelling to Germany for a Boar Hunt over a weekend, I am travelling in Hunting Clothing/Boots with only hand luggage for civvies and a 'checked in' Rifle case containing Rifle, bipod, knife.

Can I put the ammunition (say 40 rounds) in a locked cash box within the Rifle case so its in the hold - anyone done this ?

I think the airline might frown on me keeping it in my hand luggage & I don't really want to pay an extra 50 for additional baggage I don't really need as I can get all I need for the weekend in my hand luggage.

thanks in advance for your advice

FlyBoy270
    I wouldn't put it in your hand luggage!!! You might come unstuck there!!!!

Ammo and rifle must be both checked and you will pay for both at most airports. My top tip is you get onto your contacts in Germany and have ammo waiting for you there as it's far more practical to do this if it can be arranged. That's a much better plan than paying 50 to take ammo both ways.

Plus 1 for that hint.
    You will need a tagesjagdschein valid for up to 14 days issued to you to be able to buy ammo from a gun shop or to be able to hunt while in Germany of course. If the host buys the ammo for you without this doc he will have broken their laws.
    Just a hinweis!! afor ye go.
    Weidmannsheil
    Martin

hi Flyboy, I have traveled with many different airlines with my rifles and without exception never have I been allowed to put amunition with the rifle,it has to go in the hold in a seperate case. Hope this helps,
    Tusker.

I've travelled to Germany several times with Easyjet. Absolutely no problems, just put ammo in standard plastic ammo case in hold luggage. Cheaper to pre book the gun as sporting equipment online. Only this year did they start requiring the ammo on the paperwork, but even then not always. Arrive early to allow the paperwork completed.

HI Guys,
    Found a few anomalies, EasyJet will allow two guns per case, and you should be able to have the ammo in the rifle case if its in a locked metal box within the Rifle case. I only arrived at the gate 10 mins before the flight despite arriving at the desk more than two hours before, if security had been busy I would have missed my flight, they are definitely not geared up for checking in Firearms.

Anyway, had a great week, heavy rain first evening, Wednesday, a couple of Foxes shot with 22 Hornet drilling, no pigs seen Thursday but shot a Rey Buck in the evening in the Lorrach area, then Friday skinned and butchered the Roe then off north to another area renown for its Boar population in the afternoon. Arrived late at around 8.00 pm straight into high seat with a highly experienced guide who apologised for the wind direction and not being able to take me to his preferred spot. At 9.00 a young Keiler appeared, I harvested my first Wild Boar a few moments later he dressed out at 40kg. Then drinking the Boars health until the wee hours after due ceremony complete with Blaser Horns.
    Next night out again in a different part of the Forest with my good friend close by and another German hunter about 1 km away, they were lucky I was not, tally 1 small boar, 20kg plus Roe Doe and Kid, more celebrations.
    Next day returned to the Lorrach area via a shooting range where I was able to try the Running Boar target and get my proficiency certificate with small bore and Fullbore required for my return visit towards the end of the year for a driven hunt.
    Decamped to another Hunters area on Monday due to my friends work committments and went out Monday night, nothing seen then out again Tuesday night with two old friends from Red Stag stalking in Scotland, Markus & Siegfried, to their hunting area. At 8.45 three frischlinge appeared and we watched them for 40 minutes before they left, too small to shoot. Around 40 mins later I saw a shadow approach the same feeding area, then I could clearly see a more mature pig coming to the Maize, it devoured the remaining Maize and it could clearly be heard crunching its food, from 90m ! We waited and watched, markus stared intently at the pig to determine its sex and to ensure it was not the mother of the three frischlinge we had seen earlier, at last he was happy and said I could take the shot if I was happy with it, but it was further than they would normally shoot, the light was now fading fast and I could not see the pig without the scope.
    I could see he had moved back from the maize and had turned at 45 degrees with his head down towards me but facing downhill, I placed the crosshair on his chest just to the right of his right front leg to hit the heart and squeezed, the flash from the 30-06 Ruger No1 totally destroyed my night vision and when I looked, no boar, we heard a crash from the left that sounded like his escape. We waited 10 mins and surveyed the spot where he had been, no blood, no tissue or hair, we searched around for about an hour in full dark now, it was suggested I might have gone over the top, but I had felt happy the shot was on target. So it was agreed they would search with a special dog in the morning early, I was catching my flight so would not be able to assist and I asked they let me know by SMS what they find, on landing I received a message - Waidmannsheil toast to your boar, he ran 150m - Siegfried found him with the dog Silva, a 50kg keiler, the shot was good, no exit wound, all is good !
    We celebrate with two bottles of Cremant, unfortunately without you
    greetings Markus, Siegfried and the dog Silva.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piggy_2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	508.9 KB 
ID:	30241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piggy 1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	575.9 KB 
ID:	30242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rey.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	449.7 KB 
ID:	30243

best regards
    FlyBoy270
    Last edited by FlyBoy270; 13-07-2013 at 10:45.