ear defenders??? electronic type ...any good

peterretep

hi,

just curious on opinions on the electronic ear defenders, at the range last week and with my "quiet please" bungs which have always done ok, and a young chap was started to zero a A.I. cannon!!!

the shock wave was there and impressive to us 1+ foot away, but the old ear bungs were failing a tad!!!, thought next time i'll go better prepared with or try some electronic defenders so thought i'd ask you lot on here for your valued honest opinions on them , on the best or economic types and how they fair at the range etc.

I use Peltor Tactical Sport and they are good enough for me at the range. Had an un-moderated 30.06 go off on the bench next to me recently which made me jump, but the ears were fine

Can be found for under £100

Last edited:
I use Peltor Tactical Sport and they are good enough for me at the range. Had an un-moderated 30.06 go off on the bench next to me recently which made me jump, but the ears were fine

Ears might have been fine but what about your underwear? :eek:

he said he went commando! messy!!!:doh:

if you state the gear you use please try to state how much they were approx so we can get an idea of the cost, i have seen some for £250 +!!! and I think they can get dearer again,
but why?

I know the line you get what you pay for, but just times you can get your ar*e smacked in cost terms :thumb:because of a brand etc etc...
low profile, handfree blue toothed! etc etc ...

the best for the best price is????

Last edited:
I use;

Howard Leight | Impact Sport

Great tool especially when your getting old like me you can use them as hearing aids!

thats sounds like a good idea!:thumb: especially now my lamps are failing, my hearing is great, I can hear a bus 5 miles away through resonance, but can't hear my lass shouting 30 feet away!!! something has to give...:rofl: don't they call that selective hearing???

the ear defenders are a must and on my next shopping list..... but which ones???

but need to protect my hearing going into old age,

he said he went commando! messy!!!:doh:

if you state the gear you use please try to state how much they were approx so we can get an idea of the cost, i have seen some for £450 !!! and I think they can get dearer again,
but why?

I know the line you get what you pay for, but just times you can get your ar*e smacked in cost terms :thumb:because of a brand etc etc...
low profile, handfree blue toothed! etc etc ...

the best for the best price is????

I've updated my post

At the clay-ground I use Peltor SportTac - they're slimish and don't foul the stock on mounting.
However, I'm not sure they cut the mustard when there are many rifles going off: so for the rifle-range, I have a pair of Peltor SportTac II.

I wouldn't consider any kind of ear-plugs on their own to be adequate protection against rifle-noise, though I do wear them when using a shotgun in the field.

I use the Deben slim line which appear good, but I would put plugs inside them if I was where someone was using something big. I know Scrumbag did this when he was shooting a 577NE indoors!

David.

I did not like the peltor sports at our indoor range, with four lanes of rapid fire I thought the struggled to keep up, maybe just me, but use normal peltors ( chipper grade) now.

I treated myself to a pair of MSA Sordan Supreme Pro X last year and while they were not cheap, best part of £200 with the gel ear cushions they are great and in my opinion much sturdier than some of the others I've seen.

​As I said they're not cheap but you do tend to get what you pay for and I want to keep my hearing as long as I can.

I treated myself to a pair of MSA Sordan Supreme Pro X last year and while they were not cheap, best part of £200 with the gel ear cushions they are great and in my opinion much sturdier than some of the others I've seen.

​As I said they're not cheap but you do tend to get what you pay for and I want to keep my hearing as long as I can.

I also bt these sordin pros last year - they are much thinner than some of the competition and I don't catch the comb of my shotgun when sighting / mounting. Not so relevant for stalking perhaps, but electronic defenders really do amplify low level sounds up in a fantastic way, so much so that you can hear movement in the undergrowth - you get an extra few seconds warning of birds launching if rough shooting

Another vote for these. Can't fault them and nice and thin.
​Had some Peltor Sport Tac before this but sold them on as I kept clunking the stock. Good at their primary job of suppression though.

Back