Thread: Possible demo' and talk with a deer dog ?

Possible demo' and talk with a deer dog ?

I'm in the process of starting to bounce some ideas round in my head for some new or different activities to put on for a Cub Pack I'm a Leader for. It is more longer term planning than immediate programme filling. The current batch of ideas are quite varied and some might come to nothing but I'd like to pull together any available advice or suggestions to help me decide if they may be feasible.

Over the rest of this year we may have a dog from the RAF trained to search for explosives or ammunition. Also a Search and Rescue dog trained to find people which will include a practical "find a Cub" hide and search. And my brother in laws collie rounding up sheep.
    So, I'm wondering if I can work in a deer dog somewhere. Either as a talk, or even better, a practical demonstration of the dog working a laid trail ? I must say at this point that I personally have absolutely no experience of them !

This would not be an outright introduction to stalking, though that purpose will not be hushed or swept away, more looking at how dogs skills can be trained to help us. An emphasis initially would be the dogs ability to help it's owner follow and find deer wounded in RTA's if needed.

This is really just the bare bones of an idea at the moment.

So, can anyone offer any advice or suggestions or possible pitfalls ?

Most importantly, might anyone actually be able to help ?

I'm near Great Missenden, with open access to the in-laws farm so site for a potential practical demo is no problem. The group size of Cubs could either 20 - 25 if the whole Pack, or 8 - 10 if I do it as an "Invite Only Activity" (that is a camp or event that is put on specially for the older Cubs, often in last few months before moving up to Scouts. Generally involves lots of 'traditional' Scout craft like lighting own fires, cooking on them, sharps, archery, shooting, etc. )

Any advice, suggestions, comments, help or other ideas welcome.

thanks, Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by RDG View Post
    I'm in the process of starting to bounce some ideas round in my head for some new or different activities to put on for a Cub Pack I'm a Leader for. It is more longer term planning than immediate programme filling. The current batch of ideas are quite varied and some might come to nothing but I'd like to pull together any available advice or suggestions to help me decide if they may be feasible.

Over the rest of this year we may have a dog from the RAF trained to search for explosives or ammunition. Also a Search and Rescue dog trained to find people which will include a practical "find a Cub" hide and search. And my brother in laws collie rounding up sheep.
    So, I'm wondering if I can work in a deer dog somewhere. Either as a talk, or even better, a practical demonstration of the dog working a laid trail ? I must say at this point that I personally have absolutely no experience of them !

This would not be an outright introduction to stalking, though that purpose will not be hushed or swept away, more looking at how dogs skills can be trained to help us. An emphasis initially would be the dogs ability to help it's owner follow and find deer wounded in RTA's if needed.

This is really just the bare bones of an idea at the moment.

So, can anyone offer any advice or suggestions or possible pitfalls ?

Most importantly, might anyone actually be able to help ?

I'm near Great Missenden, with open access to the in-laws farm so site for a potential practical demo is no problem. The group size of Cubs could either 20 - 25 if the whole Pack, or 8 - 10 if I do it as an "Invite Only Activity" (that is a camp or event that is put on specially for the older Cubs, often in last few months before moving up to Scouts. Generally involves lots of 'traditional' Scout craft like lighting own fires, cooking on them, sharps, archery, shooting, etc. )

Any advice, suggestions, comments, help or other ideas welcome.

thanks, Duncan
    I may be able to help please pm s great missenden oxfordshire