Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a 308 ?

Getting a 308 ?

Right I am chatting to a bloke with a possibility of adding 100 acre's to my permissions that is having a problem with a lot of fallow, the area is around Margam Park which has a lot of feral's living in the forestry and there coming out on this surrounding farm and knocking down / damaging fencing on the farm.

Now I already have a 243 but it is kind of on the small scale and some recent reading etc and thinking I am just wondering if something a little bigger would be better suited ?

I have my renewal up on November so had my FAC for 5 years, although a friend of mine had a lot of grief when he got a 308 on his ticket and he has done a lot more shooting than I have , so can anyone offer any advice regarding this ?

The new permission is a bit hit / miss atm, the nephew who works / lives there is keen but his uncle who owns the place isn't keen to let ANYONE on except a forestry ranger who comes about once every 6 months

If it doesn't come off then doubt I would bother asking

.243 is plenty of gun for Fallow mate. Thousands of them are shot every season with it, just get some goodly amount of practice in and then get stuck in. And that's coming from a bloke with nothing under .270 in his cabinet.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Agree with the above, plenty gun enough, but if you are looking for an excuse to buy another rifle then there's your justification!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    if you are looking for an excuse to buy another rifle then there's your justification!

Amen! Praise the Lord!
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Agree with the above, plenty gun enough, but if you are looking for an excuse to buy another rifle then there's your justification!
    Don't start me off, don't think I'll be able to stop

but if the consensus is that 243 is more than sufficient then I'm happy , just need to get out and practice , practice , practice then

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthug87 View Post
    just need to get out and practice , practice , practice then

The key to success in all things.

Why would you want a 308 when there is the 6.5 x55.

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post

Sling yer 'ook you! Don't confuse the boy!

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    ... mostly because I have read that it is safe to shoot cheap military 7.62 FMJ rounds through a 308, and the ability to practice on targets very cheaply appealed greatly to me, obviously wasn't thinking of using these rounds on live animals before anyone suggests it.

I have read some good things about the 6.5x55 , would love one in a full stock rifle, small scope and sling, lovely forest rifle

But start me off and I'd be needing to buy a bigger cabinet :P

Yes, get the .308. It'll be nicer shooting something less girly.