Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The origins of the DSC1

The origins of the DSC1

I've recently been introduced to a chap who I've taken a bit of a dislike to as I believe he is a bit of a Walter Mitty.
    Up until now i have been regaled tales of how he has been a grouse keeper in North Yorkshire,a paid stalker on an estate down in the south of England and all this on top of being a serving police officer for many years (allegedly helping Charlie Parks in his career)
    Up until now I was very dubious but his latest claim to fame is that he was instrumental in the founding of the DSC1!
    So I was wondering if any of you chaps might know where and when the test was put together and by whom?

It evolved from the WSCC (woodland stalkers certificate of competence) later changed to NSCC (national stalkers certificate of competence) A joint effort between the BDS and the St Huberts Club.
    DMQ was set up in 1997 by directors of other official bodies connected with deer such as BASC, BDS, SNH and the FC. It was originally known as WDMQ but the W has been dropped.

I've often wondered if the founding members, i.e the people who wrote the questions got the qualification by default or would they have sat the exam?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Indeed, from the WSSC and the aforementioned chap not involved as far as I know. The BDS Training/Committee men of foresight drew on their experience no doubt with organisations they were involved with who had training already in place inc. St Hubert's Club, Defence Deer Management (as it is now called), Hampshire Agricultural College (Sparsholt) German Hunting Authority et al
    I can only vouch for the originators of the Advanced Stalkers Certificate as the course that I attended in, I think 1987 in Stockbridge Village Hall was the first ever and the lecturers all had to sit the exam including, from memory Dieter Dent, Hugh Rose, Richard Prior, Norma Chapman, Alex Jagger, Dominic Griffith. They all passed by the way!

Hi nick j, just read your post and see you mentioned Alex jagger as one of the gents on that first course,I took my level 1 around 2000 and Alex was the instructor, 4 days in a caravan in deer park just outside of bath. Didn't realise he moved in such illustrious circles in the deer world,we all had a great time listening to his stories and all passed.do you know how he is and is he still stalking ,last saw him at game fair about 6 yrs a ago
    ​thanks jab.

NickJ you fibber - from the look of you New Years Eve before last you'd only have been 4 years old in '87

Whilst best treatment for Walter Mittism - as I found from my time as CO of SAS Delta PARA Chuck Norris Fan Club Force - is a big dose of 'so what'!

Attended 5 day BDS Management Course in April 1984 at Dieter Dent's in Stockbridge. No question papers, but the shooting element was a duplicate for the subsequent WSSC etc.

Course was led by Dieter and featured - Richard Prior, Stan Armstrong, G Kenneth Whitehead, Peter Baillie, Fred Courtier et al. RP spent sometime chatting afterwards regards the vision of the WSSC etc that hoped to follow.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Andy (Moray O), believe me I did not look so fresh faced the following day (Hogmanay) or the next.... and I am as young as I look, honest!
    Your memory is better than mine! I have just found the certificate, it was the same Deer Management Course (actual date 21-23rd April 1988) as you did followed by the first (I think Advanced Stalkers Certificate so WSSC must have been between '85 and '88?) Indeed, I was 16 and had (rather confidently..) sat my one A level I needed and so took it upon myself to leave school! Dieter let me attend gratis if I made the tea and helped with the projectors, targets and the like. I couldn't afford the fee anyway as my parents were unaware I wasn't at study!
    Dieter was my late father's game dealer (Houghton Game) when dad was stationed near Stockbridge and a lovely chap. As I was doing the targets on the range near Winchester on that course I didn't do the shooting test part and not my NSSC (by then) until 13 April 1991, then with Mike Cheshire at Langport Range then advanced at Sparsholt in 1993. However, as you know I was overseas when one needed to upgrade Advanced to Level 2 hence my very enjoyable day with you in Moray doing 2 of 3 stalks.
    I met Major Baillie, GKW and Fred Courtier since so can't remember if they were there in '88. I do recall Blue Thomas and 2 colleagues attended as I got a lift with them being too young to drive!

Jab (Bandit) Mr Jagger was Training Officer of the Services Branch BDS and active in Wessex Branch at the time, I moved from the area in the early 90's so don't see him anymore I'm afraid.

Thanks for that fellas and the Pmers too.

Just as I thought.....................the blokes a splaffer

Thoroughly recommend a visit here in such cases:

Walter Mitty Hunt - Walt and more Walts

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Thoroughly recommend a visit here in such cases:

Walter Mitty Hunt - Walt and more Walts
    Didn't realise there were so many!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    It evolved from the WSCC (woodland stalkers certificate of competence) later changed to NSCC (national stalkers certificate of competence) A joint effort between the BDS and the St Huberts Club.
    DMQ was set up in 1997 by directors of other official bodies connected with deer such as BASC, BDS, SNH and the FC. It was originally known as WDMQ but the W has been dropped.

I've often wondered if the founding members, i.e the people who wrote the questions got the qualification by default or would they have sat the exam?
    I took and passed the BDS WSCC tests on 24th June, 1984, here in Cumbria.
    I did not do a course or have any instruction as I had been stalking deer since 1961.
    When DMQ came along I got the DSC1 cert. by grandfathers rights on 1st. Jan.1998.
    I was accepted as a DMQ `Accredited Witness` on July 2nd 1999.

HWH.