Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Ammo

Buying Ammo

Hi All,

This may be a daft question but I'm new to having to pay for ammo, the Queen used to give me as much as I wanted. What is the best way to buy it?

I don't want to go down the home loading route, not yet anyway but paying well over a pound a shot seems expensive and due to the way we have to buy our ammo it seems the suppliers have us over a barrel. Am I stuck with going to my local gun shop and paying whatever they ask or have I missed something and there is a much cheaper/better way of buying it.

As always thanks in advance,

Jim

What are you shooting at over a pound a pop?

I can get ammo that will group nicely for everything except my 9.3mm for less than that.

The flip side - how much shooting are you going to do? 1 deer per week is still £50 per year in ammo. Not really a great deal of money

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim xyz View Post
    Hi All,

This may be a daft question but I'm new to having to pay for ammo, the Queen used to give me as much as I wanted. What is the best way to buy it?

I don't want to go down the home loading route, not yet anyway but paying well over a pound a shot seems expensive and due to the way we have to buy our ammo it seems the suppliers have us over a barrel. Am I stuck with going to my local gun shop and paying whatever they ask or have I missed something and there is a much cheaper/better way of buying it.

As always thanks in advance,

Jim
    I'm lucky that my rifle shoot's privi partisan ammo well, it's in my local for around £65 for 100, used to be £50 for 100 but seems to have gone up quite a bit , mind you last time I bought some 75gr ballistic tips they had gone up from £21 - £30 , so they are still a lot cheaper.

After the cost of reloading gear I have seen people say it costs them around £30-40 / 100 to make there own ammo, hell of a lot cheaper and also much more accurate than factory stuff, if your doing a fair bit of shooting, I am making a commitment to get out more with the gun, so it is something I am considering to be honest. How ever I literally have no idea where to start lol

The privi ammo isn't bad but won't shoot amazing groups, considering the cost of reloading and the much better accuracy its definitely worth considering... will wait till xmas and maybe add a few things to my list

Shooting 22.250 which sets me back around £24 per box for Federal. I tried Priv Partizan £14 a box, but while it grouped nicely I found with my rifle the primers were puncturing, it might have just been a bad batch or it may be it's just my rifle but it doesn't do it with the Federals.

Between foxing and a few zeroing rounds I get through about a box a month, not a lot I know but it's still the best part of £300 a year.

Get pally with someone local that's into re-loading and see if they'll load some for you, much the same as I did myself ended up having free lessons and bought the kit bit by bit ( still buying upgrading ) but happy enough to load my own nowadays.
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg

If you gave your location, not exact, but a bit better than 'United Kingdom' you might have someone local to you that may get in touch, particularly as you indicate that you may be ex service as many of us are on here.
    Not many from outside UK so location helps a great deal.
    I find that PPU is quite suitable for my .222, .243 .308 and 30-06 varying bullet weights for different jobs but all good enough for shooting.
    I would not suggest PPU for target shooting but as long as you can hit a target as big as your fist then it's fine.

Sorry,

Profile amended, I'm in North Dorset and drive past Amesbury - ish every day on my way to work.

As I said I bought a load of PPU and was more than happy with it, but out of the last box I opened about 80% of the primers have ruptured/perforated when fired so far and that's put me off.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim xyz View Post
    Sorry,Profile amended, I'm in North Dorset and drive past Amesbury - ish every day on my way to work.As I said I bought a load of PPU and was more than happy with it, but out of the last box I opened about 80% of the primers have ruptured/perforated when fired so far and that's put me off.Jim
    Hi Jim, I am more than happy with PPU and have only once had a 'perforated' primer, in fact it was just a smudge mark around the primer indent.
    The 'perforation' must have been very small and for the length of time the 'burn' took place inside the cartridge, the striker probably acted as a bung !! so nothing went back into the bolt housing.
    I used to reload but with the rising cost of components and the price of PPU I don't find it worthwhile any more.
    I still load one or two calibres and will do now and again just to use the components that I still have.
    I must agree the price of ammo once in civvy street is quite a shocker !!

Its about the only example I can think of where the one-man operation has a price advantage over the mass manufacturers.

6.5x55 at £33 to 63 for 20 and I can turn them out for less than £18.

And they shoot better!

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    Its about the only example I can think of where the one-man operation has a price advantage over the mass manufacturers.

6.5x55 at £33 to 63 for 20 and I can turn them out for less than £18.

And they shoot better!
    Agreed, although I'm lazy and use HPS-TR to reload mine at £1 per round... Still a big saving on the £1.89 per round that factory Hornady comes in at!!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)