Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: loaded or unloaded

loaded or unloaded

as a stalker ,i take out a fair few clients each season and have my way of doing things.

i had a guy out today to listen to him he had done a bit ,he had a blazer in 308 and when we got to the ground he proceeded to load it .

i asked him not to chamber one ,but this is a blazer its a safe rifle and it only holds 3 shots that way.
    so what !.dont load it until your instructed to do so please.

we do not snap shoot so there in advantage in having it loaded and i would not want a loaded gun belling in behind me.

there is a stalker that has started in the last few years taking clients out and lets some of them chamber a round at the start of the hunt.we had a bit of a row about this this eve.

whats your views on this.

as a client or stalker.

not counting people that you know and trust

I am a stalker and among woodland/arable roe deer and all my clients have to carry a loaded weapon as we are sometimes within only yards from deer when they appear. They even hear a saftey go off if your not careful so loading a gun would be impossible.
    Novice shots I tend to carry the gun and pass it to them loaded for a shot.
    Very different to the open hill but without poaching your thread I am interested what others do also.

Out on the hill the rifle is not just unloaded but, it's in a slip and only removed for the final stalk and then ones piped when your in range and ready to go.

Lowland and woodland stalking there's always one in the chamber as you would find it very difficult to chamber a round without being heard.

ATB
    Moses

As per John Robbo-if they are competent then they carry the rifle loaded as you would shoot very few deer on my land if you had to load the rifle before a shot, if they are novice then you carry the rifle to pass to them when the shot is on. It adds more time and hence novices probably get to take fewer shots but safety has to be the main priority. Preferably with someone who's not done a lot you would be up a double high seat with them improving the safety angle of the shot and enabling them to have the rifle in their control.

Quote Originally Posted by Benc
    As per John Robbo-if they are competent then they carry the rifle loaded as you would shoot very few deer on my land if you had to load the rifle before a shot, if they are novice then you carry the rifle to pass to them when the shot is on. It adds more time and hence novices probably get to take fewer shots but safety has to be the main priority. Preferably with someone who's not done a lot you would be up a double high seat with them improving the safety angle of the shot and enabling them to have the rifle in their control.
    who is compentent ,when you dont know them .

If stalking myself in forest/lowland then i have one chambered and the safety on.

If stalking with known friends then i do the same but we make a point of showing the gun with the safety engaged, to the other party.

When with a guide/stalking service i generally make a point of asking and then follwing as per their instructions. however most commonly it's one chambered and safety engaged unless hill stalking. Hill stalking, the gun doesn't come out of the slip until right at the end of the stalk; just before the final approach where i'll crawl forward and in front and then lay down in position - then a round is chambered and ready to shoot - never before.

It all depends on wether or not the shooter is in front or behind!
    If he is a client of unknown experience,then then I would suggest unloaded at all times.

regards
    griff

Your land your rules... simples

Rangefinder wrote. Your land your rules +1[/b]

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking.
    I am a stalker and among woodland/arable roe deer and all my clients have to carry a loaded weapon as we are sometimes within only yards from deer when they appear. They even hear a saftey go off if your not careful so loading a gun would be impossible.
    Novice shots I tend to carry the gun and pass it to them loaded for a shot.
    Very different to the open hill but without poaching your thread I am interested what others do also.
    I do exactly the same here. JC