Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First FAC with DSC1

First FAC with DSC1

Just did my DSC1 and would like to now get my own rifle. I'll be looking to sign up for DSC2 stalks once DSC1 is confirmed.

So, in the Metropolitan Police area, what is the likelihood of my getting a FAC with DSC1 taken (pass not yet confirmed) and a DSC2 NOT YET booked?

I'd just apply but I'm about to do an FAC app. for a match .22lr but am unsure whether to wait until DSC1 pass is confirmed or just stick them both in now....

My options are:

1 - Do the .22lr fac app now and get a variation for fullbore when DSC1 pass is confirmed - risky as I may have no rifle for August....
    2 - Do an app for them both now - is DSC1 enough on it's own to get a fullbore?
    3 - Wait until DSC1 is passed and do them both at that time (August?)

My concern is that I want to do some stalking in August and I don't want a repeat of recent estate rifle stress...

Apply for both. As long as you can provide Good reason for possessing the specific weapons then what is the problem? Your DSC 1 wont take that long to come through. Were you not told on course whether or not you had passed it?

Hope all goes well

​Adam

I have recently been in a similar situation, however I have owned rimfires for about 7 years, and was just looking to add centrefire for deer.

Firstly, I spoke to Devon and Cornwall Police, who wanted me to do a DSC-1 for the .243. Completed the course last week, and am now waiting on D&C police to remove the mentor condition from my license. They said it was fine to remove it before my certificate came through, but asked for the contact details of my DSC-1 provider so as to verify my attendance/success.

You may find the police try to be obstructive if they aren't quite comfortable, especially with the fullbore. Your best bet is to call them and ask what they recommend. From my experience they are generally reasonable if you explain your situation.

There seems to be too much emphasis on the power given by the possession of a DSC1. It is not necessary for the grant, whereas experience of full bore and 'good reason' are the minimum requirement as far as I know. Suppose it depends where you reside (again). You might have a FLO who demands DSC1 to grant but it is not the general rule by any means.

I have to say, I think that you are making a couple of mistakes here. You definitely don't want to Register for DSC2 as soon as you get your DSC1 certificate through unless you are a very experienced stalker for whom the DSC1 was just a formality (apologies if this is the case). Without exception, all of the people that I have seen struggle with DSC2 do so because they lack experience.

Also, why are you concerned about using an estate rifle? I have never had a complaint from a guest who has used an estate rifle. Most stalkers love it when a guest asks to use the estate rifle as they know that it's accurate and reliable.

My advice is not to rush into anything.

I obtained my FAC last September from the Met and had applied for and was granted slots for a stalking rifle and a .22RF. For the first I asked for it to be for stalking, zeroing and testing, the second primarily for target shooting but also vermin. I provided a copy of my DSC1 certificate (which won't take more than a couple of weeks to arrive), evidence of rifle club membership and a couple of letters from people I'd been stalking with stating that I was serious about stalking and was safe. They granted me everything I asked for. I had a lot of help and advice from Tamus on here, as well as Scrumbag. But if you can give them evidence for good reason (stalking or target), evidence that you're safe and then show that you have a safe place to keep guns, that's all teh boxes ticked.

Also I've just noticed that you live next door to me. Our local FEO is a good sensible bloke. If you want more details, just drop me a PM.

More important than having DSC1 is having written permission from a landowner to shoot deer.

DSC1 will help towards convincing the FEO that you are serious about stalking but not good reason in it's own right.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Thanks for that, all very reassuring. I'll go for them both them!

Just to clarify on the DSC2 thing, the reason I'll do DSC2 soon is that my trainer does a "guaranteed 3 kills" (park culls) to get the DSC2. This works out as financially better than doing multiple stalks and will keep my skills fresh. I'm doing as much certification up front as I had a windfall plus I have six months off work to spend it....which is nice....

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    Just to clarify on the DSC2 thing, the reason I'll do DSC2 soon is that my trainer does a "guaranteed 3 kills" (park culls) to get the DSC2. This works out as financially better than doing multiple stalks and will keep my skills fresh. I'm doing as much certification up front as I had a windfall plus I have six months off work to spend it....which is nice....

Who's your trainer mate?
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    Thanks for that, all very reassuring. I'll go for them both them!

Park culls are of no use to you. You need 3 stalks. You need 3 kills. You need 3 grallochs. All could come from the same 3 stalks, but that's pretty unlikely, and that should've been explained in black & white

Sorry to say this, but I really hope that ypu've got the wrong end of the stick here, as DSC2 is NOT about just shooting park deer. I'm leaving a gap of 2/3 years between my DSCs.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)