Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Badger Gives TB To A Seal Pup...

  1. #1

    Badger Gives TB To A Seal Pup...

    Story here: BBC News - Wounded seal on coast had TB from badger bite, vet says

    Presumably, the badger thought the pup would make a good meal...
    Last edited by Paddy_SP; 26-06-2013 at 13:16.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Story here: BBC News - Wounded seal on coast had TB from badger bite, vet says

    Presumably, the badger thought the pup would make a good meal...
    Good stuff, all we need now is for badgers to bite/eat/infect a few kittens and other cute furry animals then they might be seen for what they really are! I wonder if Brian May might have a conflict of interest on this one?

  3. #3
    I'd love this to be proven to be true, but don't understand how it's possible to prove that a seal was infected by a badger when the method of transmission from badgers to cows is still largely to be proven. Unless I have been mis informed?

  4. #4
    On farming today
    The type (genetic fingerprint) of bTB is one from S Wales associated with badgers and cattle so it's a balance of probabilities.
    The transmission of infection between cattle and badgers is well recognised. The exact means (badger excretion/abscesses on food) has not been established

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I'd love this to be proven to be true, but don't understand how it's possible to prove that a seal was infected by a badger when the method of transmission from badgers to cows is still largely to be proven. Unless I have been mis informed?
    Mike, it is possible to trace strains of TB as this varies all over the country. How precisely the seal pub was infected will obviously be open to some speculation but the strain it has been infected with has been traced to bTB infections in west wales which means that the seal pub must have been bitten by a badger there (this is the vets conclusion) or a cow (unlikely!) and then eventually been washed up on a beach in the south west which isn't at all unlikely given that it is the other side of the Bristol Channel and I'm sure a hungry badger would be attracted to a newly born seal pup and its placenta as an easy meal.

    It is proven that TB is often transmitted by bites and, as we all know, badgers do bite each other alot. The connection from cows to badgers and vice versa is also proven but does not involve alot of biting, rather consuming infected food material containing the other species urine or faeces with a bit of air borne transmission thrown in for good measure when the two species mix at close quarters, such as when badgers raid cow houses to eat cattle food. Yes, this cross infection of species is complex and not all is yet known but there is plenty of science proving this.

    What is the big subject of debate is whether culling badgers will reduce TB in cattle and is it right to do so. I believe it will and support this project. Only time will tell..........

  6. #6
    I don't doubt that tracing strains of tb is possible, therefore the area where the seal was infected can be proven. Bit of a guess though as to how the seal was infected, the fact that speculation is presented as fact I find amusing.

    As stated already on this thread, while most do not doubt the link between badgers and bovine tb afaik the exact method of transmission has not been scientifically proven. Correct me if this is incorrect as id find it interesting to read the research.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Penyard View Post
    What is the big subject of debate is whether culling badgers will reduce TB in cattle and is it right to do so. I believe it will and support this project. Only time will tell..........
    I'm told that a local badger vaccination trial has resulted in the incidence of bTB there going up by 25%...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I don't doubt that tracing strains of tb is possible, therefore the area where the seal was infected can be proven. Bit of a guess though as to how the seal was infected, the fact that speculation is presented as fact I find amusing.

    As stated already on this thread, while most do not doubt the link between badgers and bovine tb afaik the exact method of transmission has not been scientifically proven. Correct me if this is incorrect as id find it interesting to read the research.
    I hear you Mike. However, the examining vet says three things which are fact, it had bTb, that strain can be traced to cattle/badgers in west wales and it had been bitten which was considered to be the source of infection. Guess away at what bit it but my money is on it not being a cow!

  9. #9
    When I saw "Badger gives TB to A..." in the sub-forum last post column, I had high hopes it would turn out to be "Badger gives TB to Anti". I'm disappointed now.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post

    Presumably, the badger thought the pup would make a good meal...
    Must have thought it was a big slug

Similar Threads

  1. Seal skinz shooting gloves
    By norma 308 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 24-03-2013, 21:09
  2. Seal attacks gundog retrieving a duck
    By Blitzking in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 18:13
  3. Seal kills dog
    By private fraser in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 11:47
  4. Wildfowlers dog savaged by seal!
    By BODACH in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 12:05
  5. The Seal
    By Big Al in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-03-2007, 22:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •