predict the rut!

Mungo

This may be almost as bad as asking people to guess next weeks lottery numbers, but...

I'm trying to plan a few days off this summer, and would like them to coincide with the roe rut.

What would people expect to be the best time to aim for in North Fife?

How manys days do you have off? a lad I know takes most of august off for stalking roe/muntys and lamping Charlie! not a bad idea that!!

Predicting the rut is a science all of its own really. I've compiled a few basic rules which need consideration..........
RULE 1
: If last years blackberry harvest was excellent: the rut will almost certainly start early/mid July this year, unless there was fresh snow in March or heavy rain in late Feb.
RULE 2
: If the ground is more than 130metres below sea level: rutting activity will usually begin late July (unless rule 1 applies)
RULE 3: If both black and white sheep are present in the area and at low altitude: there will definitely be no rut until about 5th August.
RULE 4: If the wind is from the north and south during the last six weeks of July: this means that the rut will be postponed until next year.
RULE 5: If it rains on Easter Sunday day: the following year's rut will be very short (except if it's a leap year of course! when the rut is two days longer than usual)

I hope this helps!

Predicting the rut is a science all of its own really. I've compiled a few basic rules which need consideration..........
RULE 1
: If last years blackberry harvest was excellent: the rut will almost certainly start early/mid July this year, unless there was fresh snow in March or heavy rain in late Feb.
RULE 2
: If the ground is more than 130metres below sea level: rutting activity will usually begin late July (unless rule 1 applies)
RULE 3: If both black and white sheep are present in the area and at low altitude: there will definitely be no rut until about 5th August.
RULE 4: If the wind is from the north and south during the last six weeks of July: this means that the rut will be postponed until next year.
RULE 5: If it rains on Easter Sunday day: the following year's rut will be very short (except if it's a leap year of course! when the rut is two days longer than usual)

I hope this helps!

So helpful...

I am not predicting the rut, but from my own observations so far this season it has been an odd one in the West Sussex area. The bucks have not shown as they usually do, they are keeping tight in the cover, and are only moving for about 60 minutes in the morning and evening, and the bigger bucks have been showing much more than usual and earlier in my opinion.

This could be due to the very late spring, and also the crop rotation on the estate has been knocked out of kilter as every field failed due to the bad weather.

On the other hand I saw a Roe doe with a fawn in mid April which is early, although since then I Have seen does with twins and singles that are only possibly 6 weeks old at the maximum.

Generally the rut is on in late July in this area, last year it was the last week of July, but again the weather was rubbish. If I was to place a bet I think it will be slightly early, possibly kicking off at the end of the third week of July, but then it really is in the laps of the gods.

Malc i think you have a point with the crops and many seldon take them in to account. This will have an effect on the activity we actually see. It will also have an effect on RTA,S. Many young bucks that have been chased off in to secluded areas will move again in late may as the first crops are lifted but this year we are about 3 weeks back (FARMERS SAY) and the silage crops and other lifted late. This has left the young bucks and immature does stranded at a time when they normally would be out of sight. Still lets hope it all comes good and if i was booking i would go for the first week in August (If you're offered it take it)

8 Aug about 11pm in Elie, heading in a Westerly direction....:)

Well, that's where I'll be anyway.

Someone once said they find the around the date the cla gamefair is on is normaly somewhere near.

Judging by the last three mature bucks I've shot they are in fine shape lots of fat on em ,skin round the neck nice and thick on them ,I rekon it's going to kick off here around the middle to third week in july, just my hunch.

Back