Thread: mentoring and open tickets

mentoring and open tickets

Now a friend of mine has recently put in for a 243 and a 17 hmr , this is his first FAC.

He wants the 17 for rabbit/vermin and the 243 for foxing with the possibility of deer in the future.
    At first he was told no chance on the 243 but in his meeting with the FEO he mentioned I would be willing to mentor him and the FEO says he will put it in and have a word and see what he can do.

My pal phoned me when he was there and I spoke to the FEO, he asked if I would be happy to mentor my pal and I said I would, I told him I had my 243 for a few years and was coming up my renewal of 5 years in November time.

The only thing he said was that I didn't have an OPEN FAC, but apparently I could of had one after 2 years , so he says he should be able to get around this little condition.

Now I haven't really gone around loads of farms shooting, I have a few I go to regular and do some foxing and targets and have a bit with some deer that I have recently started to make more effort to bring along.

1. Can anyone see me/my pal having any problems ?
    2. Can I put in now for an OPEN FAC, or should I just wait till renewal as I have always heard you get an open after 5 years anyways , however I would be looking to book a stalk over in England in August so might be worth asking anyways ?

Appreciate any advice - Lloyd

You dont have to wait for your 5 year renewal (although some forces want you to), getting it opened up early depends on experience so put your case in a letter with any supporting information you have and see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    You dont have to wait for your 5 year renewal (although some forces want you to), getting it opened up early depends on experience so put your case in a letter with any supporting information you have and see what happens!

Cheers for the reply pal, so far I've never needed an open ticket as I just stick to my usual places. Its only the fact that I have a bit of spare cash for a stalk + my pal needs a mentor that I would bother asking for one.

Think I will phone the Firearms office tomorrow and ask them if I can have one

Lloyd ask your mate to ask his FEO for " in the preasance of an experienced shooter/stalker" I know someone with this as their mentoring condition and it makes it much simpler than a named person as anyone can then take him out assuming their experienced.
    As to opening up your ticket if your putting in for a 308 or something ask them to open it at the same time it easier then.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    Lloyd ask your mate to ask his FEO for " in the preasance of an experienced shooter/stalker" I know someone with this as their mentoring condition and it makes it much simpler than a named person as anyone can then take him out assuming their experienced.
    As to opening up your ticket if your putting in for a 308 or something ask them to open it at the same time it easier then.
    Cheers mate, my pal is only looking to go foxing with the 243 atm so would need me to be there anyways to do the lamping and vice versa so that's not a big issue. I'm bit worried about asking for too much too soon, I will only ask for a 308/bigger cal if I get that extra 100 acres with the fallow on, if not I'll just stick with my 243 as I woundn't be out enough to justify another rifle... maybe 1for1 the 243 for a 308/bigger cal if it comes off, here's hoping