Thread: ladder larsen trap

ladder larsen trap

Made my first one today anyone had any luck with them

Can you explain the trap in a little more detail or do you have a photo? It might just be differences in regional dialect but I've always known a 'ladder' and 'larsen' to be two completely seperate trap types. The larsens I run are small double entry cages used for magpies and carrions. My ladder traps (when keeping in Scotland) were large wooden cages which has a ladder/letter box entry system in the top. These were situated in woodland and on open heather moorland to catch carrion crows.

Woollyback

As Wooly says, to me they are two different traps, I have a great deal of success with both. Spring time is the main time to use them although I know a few estates that run them all year round and have good returns from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeld View Post
    As Wooly says, to me they are two different traps, I have a great deal of success with both. Spring time is the main time to use them although I know a few estates that run them all year round and have good returns from them.
    The boring but important bit is that they are two different traps in law. A Larsen trap is defined (roughly) as a cage trap with a decoy compartment and one or more catching compartments with spring or gravity operated doors. Everything else is 'any other cage trap'.

We are allowed to use them under the Public General Licenses, which are different in Scotland, E & W and NI so you need to read your own local license to see the conditions for use, because if you break any of the conditions it's straight to jail without passing go. You can find the licenses on the official websites for SNH, Natural England etc.
    In Scotland Larsen traps have to be 'firmly pegged to the ground' when in use - other areas have less strict conditions, but there is a specific list of birds you can use as decoys, and checking conditions.

Hope that helps keep someone out of the clink

Ian