Buffalo calibre recommendations

Highlander

Hello looking for some advice please.
Hoping to get the opportunity to hunt Buffalo, in Africa in 2011, - I know a long time away, however, I am anticipating a long wait for a rifle, and that is if I can get it passed by my constabulary.

I already have a .338 win mag, which covers my plains game requirements more than adequately, thus it would realistically a species specific calibre, hence favouring something heavier than a .375.

Also what would be people's preferences, - a bolt action or a double barrelled rifle?

Regards

HL

Buff

Quite age old arguments, which calibre and bolt vs double. To begin with you will be a client not a PH so in theory you don't need a stopping rifle. 375 has much to recommend it and is what most of the guys on here will advise. With a good 300gr bullet it will do the job most of the time. However you are increasing the chance that the PH will join in the fight which may or may not bother you, plus if you need to follow up you want something a little heavier. If you are hunting in an area with thick cover I would use a 416 minumum and preferably 458 Win/Lott with a proper bullet. If you can afford a double go for it but get plenty of practice before using it for blood, as a double discharge can ruin your whole day.
Best of luck Matt.

Buff

PS. Also don't forget the minumun calibre legal requirements for the country you are going to. I would be interested to know where you are going and what outfitter. (need a companion?!!!)
Matt

Highlander,

There is nothing wrong with the .375 on Buffalo and if you want to go bigger try the .458 lott (less feeding problems if any than the .458wm). Both weapons are excellent dangerous, thick bush rifles.

On the double issue, try to get as much practice as possible (especially if never hunted with a double before). Min dangerous rifle is a .375 in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Mozambique.

"To begin with you will be a client not a PH so in theory you don't need a stopping rifle". :eek: :eek:
If you go with that idea Highlander, you may as well stay at home and I`ll go in your place.
In my opinion, what ever we raise our rifle/shotgun to it`s our responsibilty to kill that animal/bird quickly and humanley as possible.
I would love to see the look on a P.H.s face if a client told him "I haven`t brought a stopping rifle because you`ve got one" then again I`d like to hear what the PH said too.
Doesn`t matter if you go for a double or a bolt action whatever you finances allow, but which ever you go for and whatever calibre you choose,MAKE SURE THE RIFLE FITS YOU and just practise and practise with it, so it`s like an extension of yourself.
375 is legal limit, I like my 458 which is my choice, it fits and I can shoot it a bit too, but she maybe retiring soon to make way for a new toy, a 500 Jeffery, same make and model of rifle just a different calibre.
:D :D

buff

john.d.m.
Perhaps you failed to understand the point, a clients job is not the same as a PH. If a skilled PH gets a client a shot at 70-80 yards surely a good hit with a controllable 375 is better than a 458 or bigger that he is scared of and misses.

I would also love to see the look on a PH's face when a client botches a shot on a buff cuz some bozo told him to go with a Lott he can't handle rather than a 375 he can.
Matt

Thanks for the replies, to appease all sides I was probably thinking of the "middle ground" by way of a 416, although have recently read a lot about the 458 lott.

Rifle make considering would be Heym - any further thoughts? If I decide to go along the lines of a bolt action (most likely due to cost of a double) it must be a traditional bolt action and not a straight pull.

Best regards

HL

Highlander, very good choice, I use 458 Heym, beautiful rifle to shoot, fits nice and the finish on it is superb.
Was at a range one day and someone was saying " ohhhh you don`t need a rifle like that its too big, too noisy, too this and too that and uncontrolable " now to people who know me thats a challenge, so we set up 2 targets at 50 meteres, 5 shots freehand, all of mine where on target, the doubting Thomas only had 4 on (of his 308 ), and oh yes I finished first, it`s so so sweet to shoot.
I never had it Lotted just because it did everything it said on the box.
Used it alot on the wild boar with 520 soft points and they didn`t want a second, used it on Buffalo with solids and it just does what Ever I ask of it, shoots Deer and Possums over here too,Hopefully off to Aus nxt year and I`m sure it will do everything I want over there too, Thats unless I can find a new home for it and replace it with the 500 Jeffrey,but shhhhhh as she might hear me :D
don`t even consider anything else Highlander

Just fallen off my perch!!

Heym double in .416, or .458 win is 11.5K with a 10-12month wait!!! Think it will be a bolt action somehow a mere 5k with a 3 month wait.

I need a malt!

Having taken both Buff and Elephant with a 375 BRNO using 300g solid federal bullets I loaded myself, I would plump for a 375 as the weapon of choice.

Buff are not easy to take out with one shot, but the important part to remember is placing the first shot in the right place. If you dont, then you can really get their attention :eek:

416 is also a good round, but dont forget you will be carting it around all day :rolleyes: and in most instances you will be walking a great deal each day.

Good luck

Sikamalc

buf rifle

I would listen to the guys that tell you to use a calbre that you can shoot accuratly and comfortably with.
I use a BRNO in 375 H&H it does the job and is an inherantly accurate calibre and has a strange abbility to shoot diferant bullet weights to the same point of impact, but you have to try them and know which do this best, this can be handy if you have some plains on your licence as well.

best bit of advise , BE VERY FAMILUAR WITH YOUR RIFLE.

Good luck , shot well, enjoy.

Barry

All comes down to a RANGE on which you can practice with on AMMO that you are allowed to, here in the UK.

Going down to Africa on dangerous game with a CANNON you are not practiced with.....

Stan

Back