Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another range bites the dust.

Another range bites the dust.

A cracking underground range for small bore goes west, Our club (Phoenix), took tenancy a while back, when it was a derelict WW11 school air raid shelter, the members worked very hard to convert it to a range, while keeping some of the original features intact,

Hi,
    The inevitable has happened and we have been given notice to leave the GP range by 12th July. The property is to be signed over to the developers on the 15th July.
    Thank you to all who have worked so hard to convince the developers and others that we are a trusted shooting club etc.. The developers plan to fill the range with gravel and English Heritage seem happy with this!!

However there will be a day of last shoots on Wednesday 3rd July from

11:00 - 13:00 and then again in the evening from 19:00 - 21:00 ish. We thought that we could sign the wall and leave comments for a future generation when the shelter might be re discovered.

Please let me know if you are coming to these shoots as I will need to have sufficient targets etc.

Please keep checking your emails as we will have to have some work parties to remove all of the kit. Volunteers will be needed to help carry furniture out of the range, cut steel etc.
    We must look forward and keep on shooting. nil desperandum
    Mary

Mostyn House school is the site of the air raid shelter,http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...,d.ZGU&cad=rja

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...,d.ZGU&cad=rja
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

That is a damned shame!

Do you have other facilities?

Thats terrible

I grew up in Neston, and have such fond memories of the promenade at Parkgate (Nicholls ice cream shop!) - Its a tragedy that the school has gone, The former head lived up the road from me.

I'd seen the old photo's of the beach shooting before (sand on the front, still hard to believe) how times change

Hope you've found a new home?

Edit - I didn't realise that the range had been listed - to close it and backfill it is ridiculous!

I take it the old developers trick of 'letting the school fall down so we can rebuild it how we want' worked then!
    Last edited by Labrat; 27-06-2013 at 18:01.

Sorry to hear that Steve, it doesn't seem that long ago that the club developed the range if my recollection of articles posted by the club at the time are correct or am I thinking of a different range. I wish you luck in finding a new range, it's hard I know.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

If anyone has a JCB and a couple hundred metres of concrete pipe I'll build one on our farm
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Sorry to hear it, lost my club (KRPC )about 25 years ago when I worked in London briefly. What really gets me is the NRA/NPA, BASC or any shooting association for that matter just didn't want to know.
    We have one "Shooting Centre of Excellence" at Bisley, or so I've heard it being called, in the whole county. Surely we need a few more, wouldn't it be great if our Associations backed such a project?!

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    If anyone has a JCB and a couple hundred metres of concrete pipe I'll build one on our farm
    Good idea Si but just try getting it past planning!
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

About us

It would be a big expensive project, but it can be done -

Try asking John at Stead Hall for information.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    A cracking underground range for small bore goes west, Our club (Phoenix), took tenancy a while back, when it was a derelict WW11 school air raid shelter, the members worked very hard to convert it to a range, while keeping some of the original features intact,

Hi,
    The inevitable has happened and we have been given notice to leave the GP range by 12th July. The property is to be signed over to the developers on the 15th July.
    Thank you to all who have worked so hard to convince the developers and others that we are a trusted shooting club etc.. The developers plan to fill the range with gravel and English Heritage seem happy with this!!

However there will be a day of last shoots on Wednesday 3rd July from

11:00 - 13:00 and then again in the evening from 19:00 - 21:00 ish. We thought that we could sign the wall and leave comments for a future generation when the shelter might be re discovered.

Please let me know if you are coming to these shoots as I will need to have sufficient targets etc.

Please keep checking your emails as we will have to have some work parties to remove all of the kit. Volunteers will be needed to help carry furniture out of the range, cut steel etc.
    We must look forward and keep on shooting. nil desperandum
    Mary

Mostyn House school is the site of the air raid shelter,http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...,d.ZGU&cad=rja

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...,d.ZGU&cad=rja

What a load of old sh!t! Filling it up with GRAVEL!

W
    ​s
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Good idea Si but just try getting it past planning!
    That's probably the reason why there aren't many of these ranges... Every shooter in the country would love one of their own but don't have the land.
    I have the land but everytime I mention it to anyone I get the same reply "you'll never get planning permission"
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox