Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter rifle?

Starter rifle?

Having sold my sako quad and having a clear slot for a .22/mod I started looking around for another .22lr.

A .22 was my first 'proper' rifle and accounted for many a living thing as well as lots of holes in lots of paper.

However, now Ive come to think about it, just how suitable is the .22lr for purpose?
    I'm sure I'm not the only one thats heard the dreaded 'perchrinnnnngggggshiiiirrrttttt' of a ricochet and wondered were the hell is that off to, even with a safe backstop.
    So, given the inherent dangers of a (relatively) heavy round at (relatively) slow speed why is the .22 the go to starter round?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Cheap, quiet, no recoil pleanty of things to shoot with it, easy to get land cleared etc - seems the natural 1st step with rifles. Can't say I miss the wild west sound effects after swapping from .22 to 17 HMR for bunnies

I know it is heresy, but I have no time at all for the HMR and not much for the 22lr. The only Rimfire I rate is the 22wmr.

The 22lr is a great round for rabbits, but we have so little of those that I have no use for one.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    So, given the inherent dangers of a (relatively) heavy round at (relatively) slow speed why is the .22 the go to starter round?
    Because it's so dangerous!
    If you can manage to use a .22 safely for a year or two, then you'll be safe with any other firearm!

Joking apart, one of the biggest benefits to me has been learning about trajectory / hold over / range estimation etc. Getting to grips with the rather exagerated flight path of the .22 round has been a real learning curve (excuse the pun), and has tought me a lot about balistics in general.

I skipped the .22LR stage and went straight from a .177 spring-powered child-sized Diana air rifle to a 7mm08, albeit with an almost 30-year interval and some adventures along the way. That said, if my luck holds out on the sealed bids at Holt's, I should become the proud owner of my first .22RF next week. Woohoo!

Is that the Marlin?

Saw this and nearly wet myself.....When my FAC arrives a MkIII will be on my list to be scoped for benchrest fun..... :http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...6403&saletype=

No, nothing like that, it's a sporter. I used to shoot those martini-action BSAs at university though. They were great.

They still are...I suspect no one has ever shot one out.....indestructable.....Zulu Medicine...

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    I know it is heresy, but I have no time at all for the HMR and not much for the 22lr. The only Rimfire I rate is the 22wmr.

The 22lr is a great round for rabbits, but we have so little of those that I have no use for one.
    No time for the hmr?? Really?
    As a rabbit control round there is nowt better in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
    No time for the hmr?? Really?
    As a rabbit control round there is nowt better in my opinion
    good up to the point when they go "phut" or worse "BANG" !
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."