Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best MIDGIE protection ???????

Best MIDGIE protection ???????

Our dreaded Midgie season is here again, what are folks using with any kind of success???
    Ive tried all sorts of sprays,creams, nets all with limited success, but when the hoards arrive NOTHING works for me

Cetirizine (oral antihistamine). You still get bitten but you care less...

man up nell.a just get on with it

Oh how I hate those little b@st@rds!

Anti hist is a good idea - helps greatly with all kinds of biting bugs.

Bushcraft UK are raving about a midge rep one of them has developed - but not tried.

Body chemistry counts a lot - Skin So Soft does nothing for me - though Avon 7 day Mascara is to die for... er

50% Deet or better works best for me. Life Systems a firm favourite. But Recently found Riemann in Boots. Previously only found this gear - they do a great sun screen - at Airports. Clients have used this week and like it.

I'll use it, but for last three years have worn a midge jacket. No idea of brand, but it zips shoulder to shoulder. You can often get away with using veil unzipped - which keeps fresh air supply going good. Key is to use from the start - once you get a few bites or if you let them inside it gets irritating.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Havent arrived nr me yet but was on Mull 2 weeks ago and did an experiment in the evening. Still put my money on Avon skin so soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post

Bushcraft UK are raving about a midge rep one of them has developed - but not tried.

Body chemistry counts a lot - Skin So Soft does nothing for me - though Avon 7 day Mascara is to die for... er

50% Deet or better works best for me. Life Systems a firm favourite. But Recently found Riemann in Boots. Previously only found this gear - they do a great sun screen - at Airports. Clients have used this week and like it.

I'll use it, but for last three years have worn a midge jacket. No idea of brand, but it zips shoulder to shoulder. You can often get away with using veil unzipped - which keeps fresh air supply going good. Key is to use from the start - once you get a few bites or if you let them inside it gets irritating.
    ​Think mereside was trialling the bushcraft stuff last week.

Bee keeping suit or astronaut suit.
    I detest the little sxxtx. Just returned from buttermere and bit to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post

I used avon which worked well but i bought the simply smidge off bushcraft uk which again worked exellent until i gralloched two beasts over the weekend and i took my jacket off without thinking i hadnt put anything on my arms and the moment i opened up the deer the air was thick with a black frenzy the result is i look like i have some sort of disfigurement them buggers dont stop when blood is in the air, good luck wayne
    ps no fault to simply smidge but i didnt apply to arms or my back and just didnt think

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

A small amount of deet in the fabric softener drawer also helps. Keep it weak though (10%), that stuff melts plastic....