.243 Cleared Ground with a .308 or 6.5x55

Toxster

I'm veering towards a .308 (putting in my FAC tomorrow) but the one worry is that as a new shooter I'll need to be accompanied, or on paid stalks, which is fine. Am I likely to encounter any issues turning up to stalk with a .308? I'm particularly thinking about ground "cleared" for .243 (Scotland and England).

NB I'm assuming that .243 ground is ok for 6.5x55.....:confused:

Last edited:
If you have an open ticket no problem at all.
If you are on a closed ticket then you may only use a rifle that the land has been passed for (or 'smaller').
.243 land might be ok for 6.5 swede in reality, but legally if it's only passed for .243 its a no-no with anything bigger (ie 6.5)

So, for my long range target work I'll need the .308 but for stalking I'll also need a .243 until I get an Open ticket? That's one more gun in circulation and myself £1k worse off thanks to great lawmaking. :doh:

So, for my long range target work I'll need the .308 but for stalking I'll also need a .243 until I get an Open ticket? That's one more gun in circulation and myself £1k worse off thanks to great lawmaking. :doh:

That about sums it up!

It really depends on how you word your application and need to be clear about what you intend to use the rifle for. If you wish to stalk reds in the Scottish highlands then 99.99% of ground would have been cleared for most calibres. But you could always ask a potential stalking provider before you book to be sure. Again if going wih the a stalker in the south of England it would be advisable to ask as .243 is more common for Roe and smaller deer.

Again for your app it would be wise to have booked to show good reason and more likely to get what you ask for.

It'll be Roe doon South (Hampshire and Devon mainly) and Roes (Fife) and Reds in North of Scotland....I'm screwed basically....not mentioning the Boar....

No you just need to be clear in the application and .308 or 6.5x55 would cover both and show good reason by having cooked with somebody. Try Jellen as Im sure they would put a booking down for you.

I'm veering towards a .308 (putting in my FAC tomorrow) but the one worry is that as a new shooter I'll need to be accompanied, or on paid stalks, which is fine. Am I likely to encounter any issues turning up to stalk with a .308? I'm particularly thinking about ground "cleared" for .243 (Scotland and England).

NB I'm assuming that .243 ground is ok for 6.5x55.....:confused:

Don't piddle about if you want a .308 apply for it, it's a deer legal calibre and if you have any of that nonsense about they will only grant permission for a .243 ask them to put it in writing and take it up with your shooting association.

Mother of God! Why do you all love to make your lives so complicated?

If you have the need for a deer rifle and are not prohibited from having one then you will get one.

If you have decided on a .308 Win then in the box you simply write '.308 Win Sporting Rifle and .308 Sound Moderator'.

In the box that asks what you want it for you write 'Deer and any other lawful quarry plus zeroing and practice'.

In the box that asks where you intend to use it you write 'Any land deemed suitable'.

Next you sign it, write the cheque and post it then wait for the FEO to contact you. If he comes back with a load of questions and hoops to jump through you simply ask him to put them in writing then deal with matters as they arise.

Mother of God! Why do you all love to make your lives so complicated?

If you have the need for a deer rifle and are not prohibited from having one then you will get one.

If you have decided on a .308 Win then in the box you simply write '.308 Win Sporting Rifle and .308 Sound Moderator'.

In the box that asks what you want it for you write 'Deer and any other lawful quarry plus zeroing and practice'.

In the box that asks where you intend to use it you write 'Any land deemed suitable'.

Next you sign it, write the cheque and post it then wait for the FEO to contact you. If he comes back with a load of questions and hoops to jump through you simply ask him to put them in writing then deal with matters as they arise.

As the man says it's as simple as that.

It is that simple, and there's no legal reason I won't get a .308; the question is about where I can use it on a mentored (or equivalent) only ticket when a lot of land is .243 only. Is it likely to be an issue?

It is that simple, and there's no legal reason I won't get a .308; the question is about where I can use it on a mentored (or equivalent) only ticket when a lot of land is .243 only. Is it likely to be an issue?

Why do you want a 'mentored (or equivalent)' ticket whatever that is?

Why would you think that any professional stalker or any stalker worth his salt would tolerate restrictions like that? You are looking for problems that simply shouldn't exist.

Maybe, I just don't want to keep turning up to shoots to find "You can't use that here...."

What are the chances of that happening if you book with a professional stalker? Crikey it’s only a .308win you are talking about not a bazooka.

You seem to have this notion that a .308win is infinitely more powerful than a .243win, it isn’t. A .308win is one of a number of well recognised deer cartridges used throughout a good part of the world. It is no more dangerous than a .243win and no more safer, it’s simply a cartridge commonly used for deer stalking.

243 Win is as near as dam it 308 necked down to 243.

Also not sure where you get the belief that most ground is covered for 243 only,would have thought most professional stalkers would have there ground cleared for 308 minimum and if you are booking with someone new then ask them the question as to what the ground is cleared for.
The chance of them not having suitable ground somewhere in their leases I would guess will be very slim.

Back