Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst injury whilst stalking or stalking related?

Worst injury whilst stalking or stalking related?

I fancy some Horror stories!(That we can maybe all learn from!)
    Soooo....

What's the worst injury you have had whilst stalking or deer related?
    MS

Never had a serious injury really, cut my finger fairly badly once trying to skin frozen fallow, had a few near misses though:

Dropped rifle out of high seat, it landed muzzle first and stuck in the ground like an arrow! Took it home, cleaned the bore, took it on the range and it was spot on.

Dropped a high seat on a work experience boy but fortunately he was the one in fifty who can move faster than a sloth bear.

Fell backwards down a steep shale bank with two roe in my roesack, went base over apex for about 80m and was nearly garrotted by my bino strap but lived to tell the tale.

Lost one wheel from my l/rover on the way to stalk one morning, took me about 45 mins to find it then had to take one wheel nut off each of the other wheels to put it back on!

Caught my bell end in my zip ,by Christ can you move fast after that .

I had a muzzleloader blow up on me while shooting at a mule deer doe. Had a fun crawl on my hands and knees, blind, in -10F weather, until the Rangers found me and took me to the hospital. Five days in an eye surgery clinic having splinters of wood and steel pulled out of my eyes, eyes wrapped shut for another month, got 95 percent of my sight back in 6 weeks. Never was quite right though. No idea what blew the breech on the gun. It's hanging in my office as a reminder that 'stuff' happens.~Muir

(Since this is stalking related I won't tell you about putting a Parker-Hale Whitworth ram-rod through my hand.... that happened on a range.)

Watched a friend slip down a stone bank which was wet and slimey whilst Ibex hunting. Luckily he grabbed hold of a rock otherwise the eagles would have been eating his remains

Not me personally but myself and a friend had been out stalking, returned to finish off the gralloch and remove the pluck in the larder. While my friend was inspecting the deer it twisted and slipped off the gambrel, he tried to catch the falling deer but the weight of the carcass forced his hand down onto the knife in his other hand and the knife stuck straight into the knuckle joint of his thumb. Blue lights were needed and he spent a week in hospital on a drip because he had got a blood infection from the deer/knife which tracked up his arm. Moral of the story, make sure the gambrel is secure and WEAR A CHAINMAIL GLOVE!

gave myself a lovely 3" cut nearly to the bonewhile gralloching a roe doe on my second l2 stalk

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I shot a roe doe one evening, gralloched her and got her back to the truck, was removing the lower legs and had got them all cut, broken and off bar the last one when the light went off. For some reason i then cut down instead of the normal away and went through the last bit of tendon and straight into my finger to the bone. Couldn't see it as by now it was dark so drove back to the chiller, wrapped it up in blue towel and finished lardering her. Arrived home and my mrs went beserk at the now soaked in blood blue towel dripping on the floor and insisted i went to hospital. It needed a few stiches and the next morning my truck looked like i'd murdered someone in the front. A word of advice is that if it ever happens to you don't tell the nurse who is stitching it that you did it working on a deer with a knife she turned all sadistic, didn't wait for the local to work and was pretty rough with it once she knew how i'd done it!

There is also a chap up in lincs, not sure if he's on here or not who somehow managed to get his knife into his femoral artery whilst gralloching a muntjac, not so funny although he did survive to tell the tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I had a muzzleloader blow up on me while shooting at a mule deer doe. Had a fun crawl on my hands and knees, blind, in -10F weather, until the Rangers found me and took me to the hospital. Five days in an eye surgery clinic having splinters of wood and steel pulled out of my eyes, eyes wrapped shut for another month, got 95 percent of my sight back in 6 weeks. Never was quite right though. No idea what blew the breech on the gun. It's hanging in my office as a reminder that 'stuff' happens.~Muir

(Since this is stalking related I won't tell you about putting a Parker-Hale Whitworth ram-rod through my hand.... that happened on a range.)
    BUT....Did you hit the deer?