Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burying our heads in the sand.

Burying our heads in the sand.

There is a certain percentage of the shooting community that appear to want to bury their heads in the sand and are totally opposed to training believing that experience is everything and training means nothing. Which is all well and good if the experience has been gained while operating in a safe manner but experience proves "nothing" as the countless pensioners prove that drive the wrong way down motorways and other major routes.
    It is inevitable that in the near future proof of training will be required not only to obtain leases but also to obtain your FAC.
    FC have already moved the date twice making it a requirement to be DSC2 registered to stalk on their land once this is in force everyone else will follow suit.
    Its a simple matter of litigation and having a paper trail to follow if things go smelly.
    Not only that surely its better that we regulate ourselves and bring ourselves into the 21century rather than be dragged kicking and screaming by legislation.
    So come on guys pull your heads out of their respective holes and get with the programme.
    As someone else once said "those that are not with us are against us"

Can not agree more with you - as a newby I followed the training route, for the simple reason that aged 50+ I don't have sufficient time left to get the '30+ years of deer-management experience' some of the more established stalkers in my area have.
    Typically, very large amounts of land in The Cotswolds are 'managed' (i.e. controlled or maybe I should say 'blocked') by deer stalkers who are often well into their sixties and some don't have the fitness and mobility required to climb over a gate or walk up a hill, but will not give up their lease or permission so a younger generation can move in to deal with increasingly desperate landowners driven up the wall by the increasing deer population.

These older and established stalkers with their 30+ year of experience are in many cases very dismissive of any training or qualifications and actively ridicule and dismiss any 'new' stalker with the DSC1 or DSC2 or other qualification as they feel vastly superior. While sitting at home, with their high-seats falling apart, their landowner complaining they haven't seen the stalker for 5 years, and the deer (in particular Fallow) having free rain across boundaries, as these experienced stalkers will not share information and work together with neighbouring stalkers for fear of their permission being nicked.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066kieran View Post
    There is a certain percentage of the shooting community that appear to want to bury their heads in the sand and.......not agree with my opinion .

So come on guys pull your heads out of their respective holes and get with the programme....also available, Global Warming, The End is Nigh and "Why is my glass half full?

As someone else once said "those that are not with us are against us" JC, Luke 9:50
    Having a bad day?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

As someone else once said "those that are not with us are against us"
    That's not really true. It's more that "those who are not with us can't really be bothered"...

We don't have to like the inevitable but have to accept it! I think it's far better we regulate ourselves than have yet more legislation thrust upon us, so totally agree with you that is the way things are going and better to be in front than being dragged behind new legislation (which is inevitable IMHO) if we dont self regulate & BE SEEN TO, Into 21st century.
    Last edited by CWMMAN3738; 28-06-2013 at 10:31.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

I don't know about inevitability, but I'd say that if there is going to be mandatory training, then that should become a necessary and sufficient condition for an FAC. SO you do your training, and then you can buy whatever rifle you see fit with no further conditions. The terms of the discussion need to change from the current Heath Robinson setup to something integrated and coherent.

No having a brilliant day just been confirmed I've not got cancer just started seeing a lovely young lady and got two months work ahead of me.
    I was just making an observation about human nature and they way things are heading.

No having a brilliant day just been confirmed I've not got cancer just started seeing a lovely young lady and got two months work ahead of me.
    I was just making an observation about human nature and they way things are heading.
    Excellent.

​My apologies if I misread the tone.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

You can only imagine how miserable I am on a bad day lol

Just going to jump in now and get the chance to use this before anyone else does ................................