Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: land clearance 'up to .270'.

land clearance 'up to .270'.

If a bit of land has been cleared 'up to .270', do you think they'd let you use a .308 on it, given the .270's greater effective range?

Not round here they won't! ".308 is bigger than .270 so no" seems to be the way of things at the moment. And they will not move in it. Hopefully your part of the world might be a bit more enlightened (bigger backstops)?

Unfortunately not, .308 of an inch is a bigger number than .270 and that's what FLD's go off

​ballistics don't come into it
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

....but it may just be that nobody else has ever asked for anything bigger than .270 on that particular land
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

.270 is a far better round than .308 ...i would rather use the .270 over the rainbow .308 mate

Quote Originally Posted by exmarksman9870 View Post
    .270 is a far better round than .308 ...i would rather use the .270 over the rainbow .308 mate
    +1
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

I guess if you already have a .308 then a rec. to buy a .270 isn't going to help. I'd been advised that in such a case I should contact the FEO and explain why .308 is ok and get it changed.

Also, the restriction is as much on you as the land, given that once you have an "open" certificate the "passed for calibre" issue doesn't apply.

So, you could shoot on the land if you get the wording on your FAC changed (assuming it has the words "on land deemed suitable by the Chief Constable or somesuch.....". What does your FAC say currently?

Maybe one for BASC to take up as the whole "clearance" thing does appear to be a lot of danglies....
    Last edited by Toxster; 28-06-2013 at 12:18.

I know people are against obligatory qualifications...BUT,,if we had DSC1 as obligatory, do you think the police would just let us decide how many rifles and how much ammo we need and where it's appropriate to use it without all this clearance nonsense and having to have permission for another rifle...I mean, who cares if you have 1 or 100 rifles, you can only use one at a time! if they're kept safe and not making their way into the hands of the criminals, then surely that can only help stimulate the UK economy and position us more competitively against other nations for trade purposes,, esp. given the heritage of gunmaking in the UK..

if people want to commit a crime, they'll find a way, they won't stop just because they don't have access to a firearm....plus, I read an article on the BBC once, apparently, any regular Joe can walk into Glasgow and buy a handgun for 500...so what's the big deal, people who want arms can already get them!

I wonder when kitchen knives and overly pointed dildo's will get banned too!

The same time as the politicians & ACPO get their but plugs out their arses!
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post

I wonder when kitchen knives and overly pointed dildo's will get banned too!
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

For what calibre butt plug would their arses be cleared....? Not counting Eric .416Rigby Pickles....?