Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lead Campaign

Lead Campaign

Several organisations have come up with a website to show support for complying with the law on lead and the inevitable ban if we don't.

See link:Show your support | Lead Shot Campaign

no one really seems to care about radioactive waste in Dalgety bay or near Fukushima, but a few pellets of natural resources making their way back to nature should be banned?

ok, let's ban lead, then fewer people will shoot game and pass food into the small shops that the same 'anti's are trying to protect from the evil empire (tesco),,so banning lead will probably mean people shooting less due to the high costs associated with bismuth, etc. which means less small game in the local butchers and game dealers, again, meaning less choice and people buying chicken..from Tesco's....

but of course, an increase in the already millions of caged chickens getting electrocuted and 'processed' is better than a few lead pellets and having a steady supply of natural game to the local community.

if only people worried about some of the really pressing issues maybe society could actually get something meaningful attained for once and before this wee planet is eventually wiped out in a few hundred million years anyway.

Sorry m8 but I don't support the ban in any way shape or form it was just a soft target for he Blair government to meet their lead reduction target without further attacks on industry so we took it up the arse again without a fight and now you want us to accept it SORRY BUT I NEVER WILL!! Lead from shotgun & rifle rounds poses a minuscule if not non existent threat to anyone or anything as dose anglers weights it's just another example of how our organisations & our mass voices were not heard or voiced & ignored by governments, it's a disgrace when you think if the numbers of anglers & shooters in his country who's voices mean nothing.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

I don't get it. You want us to sign in support of a lead shot ban?

​is this website for real?

Signed earlier today.

Its a pity that the campaign is being driven by the game bird side of things, it affects us all and I know they are working in defence of the bullet lead issue as well, but their language betrays the main focus - hence constant 'shot' reference. A pity but largely irrelevant.

Jubnut identifies another issue. The site is not seeking support for a ban at all. It is saying the signatories support/ adhere to the legal use of lead and lead alternates as required by existing law. One issue is the perceived mass breaking of existing regulation - being used ( and used effectively ) by the opposition to demand an outright, total ban.

Hence the spotlight on two issues -

1. We are fieldsportsmen not political campaigners. Quite a few are pretty fed up with constantly being asked to fight for their sport. I can understand that, honestly I can. But the option is current such that we either fight in unison or face the nature of this thing we are love changing beyond recognition in the years ahead.

Whether entirely due to that mindset or through a more sinister ego/ self interest outlook - large numbers of people ignore inconvenient legislation. This weakens the position of us all.

2. Campaigning and politics are a whole area of 'warfare' that is complex and a black magic combination of art & science. Its quite deep and very devious in many ways. The website above is a valiant attempt to box clever. but I fear a good many shooters won't see it as that and in 'our' oft repeated fashion will attack it through misunderstanding - grinding progress to a halt - again!

To be clear, not a sleight on Jubnut at all - he usefully highlights how circumspect and potentially obscure this approach is.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I'm sorry but I don't see it that way, to me it means that we accept it and agree to work within it (which we currently do I'm sure) that we accept it as right and have yet again given into another nonsense bit of legislation, I prefer to maintain that it was wrong and would like it repealed along with various other bits of ******** legislation therefore I cannot bring myself to support that which accepts something I believe to be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Signed earlier today.

Its a pity that the campaign is being driven by the game bird side of things, it affects us all and I know they are working in defence of the bullet lead issue as well, but their language betrays the main focus - hence constant 'shot' reference. A pity but largely irrelevant.

Jubnut identifies another issue. The site is not seeking support for a ban at all. It is saying the signatories support/ adhere to the legal use of lead and lead alternates as required by existing law. One issue is the perceived mass breaking of existing regulation - being used ( and used effectively ) by the opposition to demand an outright, total ban.

Hence the spotlight on two issues -

1. We are fieldsportsmen not political campaigners. Quite a few are pretty fed up with constantly being asked to fight for their sport. I can understand that, honestly I can. But the option is current such that we either fight in unison or face the nature of this thing we are love changing beyond recognition in the years ahead.

Whether entirely due to that mindset or through a more sinister ego/ self interest outlook - large numbers of people ignore inconvenient legislation. This weakens the position of us all.

2. Campaigning and politics are a whole area of 'warfare' that is complex and a black magic combination of art & science. Its quite deep and very devious in many ways. The website above is a valiant attempt to box clever. but I fear a good many shooters won't see it as that and in 'our' oft repeated fashion will attack it through misunderstanding - grinding progress to a halt - again!

To be clear, not a sleight on Jubnut at all - he usefully highlights how circumspect and potentially obscure this approach is.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

I have signed it as well. What it is asking for is everyone to comply with the existing law regarding waterfow, DEFRA's own research has revealed the 73% of ducks shot were full of lead shot!
    The concern is that because people are breaking the existing laws the only way the government can stop the lead shot being fired over wetlands is to ban lead completely.

Can they prove those ducks were shot in england. 73% is a massive percentage if that was accurate, it would have to be almost standard for guns to ignore ban to get a % like that. Do u now how big the study was and how wide (If just went to 1 game dealer on 1 day could just be 1or 2 guns ignoreing the ban who are also a cracking shots, shooting more ducks than rest off team)

Not illegal to shoot duck in scotland, likes of yorkshire game/blackface meat will have a lot off scottish duck.

If this were a petition to repeal the lead shot ban I'd be behind it 100% although I always wonder at the validity of online petitions.

However signing a form to say I'm going to comply with the law?? I don't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    If this were a petition to repeal the lead shot ban I'd be behind it 100% although I always wonder at the validity of online petitions.

However signing a form to say I'm going to comply with the law?? I don't see the point.
    +1. Once again our representative bodies are being out maneuvered in the PR war by obviously far more sophisticated minds. If they don't see how it presents us as law breakers by default then they really are dim. Let's say 50,000 folk sign up, that clearly 'proves' that the remaining 80,000 members of BASC don't support compliance with the law on lead shot. How about we all sign up to a promise not to drink and drive or use illegal drugs? This really is on a par with "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Frankly, it's cringing supplicant tone makes me heave. If we were truly on the front foot (as claimed by some) we would be robustly presenting all the evidence that refutes the fallacious arguements about the damage that lead shot does and work to get the law repealed.