Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17HMR split cases

.17HMR split cases

I write asking if there have been any other shooters of .17 HMR out there with consistently split cases? I am shooting an Anschutz 1517DB. I have shot Federal Vitalshok 17 gr. that does not group so well as the CCI 20gr. I am most happy with. Every so often maybe once every 30 shots or more a case splits in the front on the neck slightly. There seems no ill effect, but it obviously is not good. I worry that the chamber will get damaged with time. SO far I have been cleaning only with a pull through, but I have located a bore guide and might try cleaning it with brush and patch. Is there a recommended ammo that I might try, even if it cost more? I love the round and performance, but...... not quite right.

Yeah okay plenty written in the past on this topic. I see someone thinks that they can spot the split case rounds before shooting them. I have not inspected but will try to inspect them now to see if this is possible. If this is true, it is pretty bad really.

i use 17 grain v-max in my 17 hmr shoots half inch groups all day but the last box i have had 7 split necks after firing and 6 mis fires where it just hasnt gone off out of a box of 50, must just be a bad batch

Oh I don't think I can spot them, I can

This has been a ongoing problem a few mates have had the bullet misfire and lodge in the chamber luckily realising before reloading, i also use the anshutz model and cleaning i clean as if a CF rifle...you will get all the same fouling as a CF, so far maybe because i have a good batch or because i check my ammo before loading but so far no probs with mine.

Apparently it's "normal" and when I owned one I found Federal did the neck-split on firing quite well but only after a hang-fire as well...my 17HMR has gone to the dealer in PX for a 17 Hornet. Much easy to live with and just as cheap to run IMO without any of the ammo issues...

Like to hear a bit more about the .17 hornet Barkingsnake.
    ​Have you used it "in anger" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    Like to hear a bit more about the .17 hornet Barkingsnake.
    ​Have you used it "in anger" yet?
    In what sense "in anger" ? Slotted 6 out of 7 bunnies at 200 - 220 yards the first time I tried. First one was a miss as I gave it a bit too much elevation: just need to rest the crosshairs on the back and goodbye. Works best IMO with 20grain Berger match. Prize for most ricochets goes to 25grain VMAX which seem to love skipping...we've no stones on out patch of sand. Works well with Lil'Gun, H322 and H4198. Cheap to run, easy to load.
    The Savage 25 I have is ok but no thing of beauty but as a killing machine seems to work well. It did need rethreading after the "back yard abortionist" job done by someone (it was brand new...) destroyed about 10% of the lands in the last 5mm of the barrel. In spite of that the bunny stunt was done with the damaged barrel,
    The stock is a bit floppy but much better with an epoxy fill which stiffens it significantly and adds some weight. The trigger is also, out of the box, poor IMO but a little deburring made it satisfactory.
    So, some grumbles but an adequate little rifle and streets ahead of the CZ452/duff ammo combination I had before in 17HMR (some members of this forum think I don't know what I'm missing and must be deranged to go so bold as to dislike a 17HMR) which I would have happily given away (and offered).
    Would I buy another one (even a Savage)? Yes, works for me although it's not got enough wallop for foxing in my book but would work when I've not got the 22-250 with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingsnake View Post
    In what sense "in anger" ? Slotted 6 out of 7 bunnies at 200 - 220 yards the first time I tried. First one was a miss as I gave it a bit too much elevation: just need to rest the crosshairs on the back and goodbye. Works best IMO with 20grain Berger match. Prize for most ricochets goes to 25grain VMAX which seem to love skipping...we've no stones on out patch of sand. Works well with Lil'Gun, H322 and H4198. Cheap to run, easy to load.
    The Savage 25 I have is ok but no thing of beauty but as a killing machine seems to work well. It did need rethreading after the "back yard abortionist" job done by someone (it was brand new...) destroyed about 10% of the lands in the last 5mm of the barrel. In spite of that the bunny stunt was done with the damaged barrel,
    The stock is a bit floppy but much better with an epoxy fill which stiffens it significantly and adds some weight. The trigger is also, out of the box, poor IMO but a little deburring made it satisfactory.
    So, some grumbles but an adequate little rifle and streets ahead of the CZ452/duff ammo combination I had before in 17HMR (some members of this forum think I don't know what I'm missing and must be deranged to go so bold as to dislike a 17HMR) which I would have happily given away (and offered).
    Would I buy another one (even a Savage)? Yes, works for me although it's not got enough wallop for foxing in my book but would work when I've not got the 22-250 with me.
    That's what i wanted to know.
    I had an Anschutz 17 HMR and really rated it but this was before all this ammo problem so I was unsure about getting another for the cabinet.
    Don't think I'll bother with the 17 Hornet after reading your write up as I reckon the 22LR and .222 will cover all the bases.
    Thanks for the write up though ,much appreciated .