Those at the top

CWMMAN3738

Now before anybody starts I'm asking??
Is it possible that those at the top of our shooting organisations are not our best option for representation? Either because of age, set in ways/opinions, lack fight/motivation, want it to go along smoothly, their views differ from the majority, too much the old boy network, anything you can think of, their experience in invaluable we know, this is not to start a slagging match just to asserting what people think of our leaders in general, we have a general view of politicians but are ours any better?:stir:
Good conduct please!

Now before anybody starts I'm asking??
Is it possible that those at the top of our shooting organisations are not our best option for representation? Either because of age, set in ways/opinions, lack fight/motivation, want it to go along smoothly, their views differ from the majority, too much the old boy network, anything you can think of, their experience in invaluable we know, this is not to start a slagging match just to asserting what people think of our leaders in general, we have a general view of politicians but are ours any better?:stir:
Good conduct please!

I had come to the same conclusion myself, I certainly felt that Jonathon Swift at BASC made himself rather too comfortable and was inept when it came to dealing with politicians. Barney White-Spunner at the CA is a pleasant enough chap but appears to spend much of his time preaching to the converted, perhaps when he has to address the likes of John Prescott on the egalitarianism of country sports he finds his background too much of a handicap. :thumb:

atb Tim

O.K. so how many of us turn up at the AGM of our particular fiels sports body and push for change?

David.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the ones at the top as you call them are to busy trying to please each other to worry about their members or the members of the public. Insestuous relation ships are rife in the deer stalking and shooting community. From where i am sitting it will not change for a long time.

O.K. so how many of us turn up at the AGM of our particular fiels sports body and push for change?

David.

I do! (At least at a regional level).

BDS Highland branch AGM this year turnout was abysmal! Since moving north I've heard lots of sarcastic comments about BDS on this site & elsewhere, yet all too few can be ar*ed to turn up to try & make things work the way they would like! :cuckoo:
Too many keyboard cowboys & gobby do nowts around methinks!!

Ian

As I said in another thread what we need is someone to unite behind a leader with drive, a good orator, with passion, & intelligence!
A bit like our country!

As I said in another thread what we need is someone to unite behind a leader with drive, a good orator, with passion, & intelligence!
A bit like our country!

I agree our organisations do need a charismatic, media friendly figurehead at the top.

I think that Robin Page might have been a far better leader for the CA, at BASC Richard Ali has yet to find his feet, Bill Harriman comes over quite well on television & radio but who exactly is Martyn Howat? I would guess that he is not a household name even amongst those that shoot.

atb Tim

It seems to me that the ones at the top as you call them are to busy trying to please each other to worry about their members or the members of the public. Insestuous relation ships are rife in the deer stalking and shooting community. From where i am sitting it will not change for a long time.

I think you'll find them in most organisations from the government down.

I think you'll find them in most organisations from the government down.

I agree! :) Not only in your country, here much the same "looking to please the other Exco members" rather than do what the normal members have elected them for: Looking after the member's interests! The same scenario seems to hold in all of these that I have some experience with: PHASA, SA Hunters, SA Wingshooters and a whole host of others!

I am always amazed when people write "Their views differ from the majority". This will only work with empirical evidence, otherwise it should read "Their views differ from mine and my mates".

Most people at the top of organisations are elected, if enough people disagree with them, and they are prepared to do something about it, then they will not stay at the top for long.

Those at the top have always and will always look after each other, of course you
do get the odd one now and then but the others soon kick them into touch or
they end up the blacksheep, just the way it is.

Just my opinion, Buck.

I am always amazed when people write "Their views differ from the majority". This will only work with empirical evidence, otherwise it should read "Their views differ from mine and my mates".

Most people at the top of organisations are elected, if enough people disagree with them, and they are prepared to do something about it, then they will not stay at the top for long.

Weren't Richard Ali and John Swift appointed rather than elected?

:rofl: so it starts

if you wish the job start to put yourself forward! if not why bother rocking and knocking just enjoy your sport while you can .all top dogs and ceo's get their cocks s*** by the underlings who's only wish to keep a pay cheque's comeing in its been that way since life began .
rant over

Weren't Richard Ali and John Swift appointed rather than elected?

The trouble is total apathy anongst the vast majority of shooters even when the right people stand for election they dont get in through lack of interest and we end up with folk who are only doing it to feather their own nest and enhance their own businesses.

All too true I'm afraid!
The trouble is total apathy anongst the vast majority of shooters even when the right people stand for election they dont get in through lack of interest and we end up with folk who are only doing it to feather their own nest and enhance their own businesses.

We missed out on a decent guy here,Along with the correct observations.

BASC AGM & elections to Council
I regret to inform you that I was not successful in my bid to gain seat on Council.

My congratulations to returning vice chairman Mike Sherman, returning council member Paul Culley and new council member Claire Zambuni.

My thanks to all who cast a vote in my favour and your kind words of support in the run up to today's declarations.

Of more concern, however, should be the glaring lack of engagement in this process by members. Out of a membership of 130,000 only 2,705 participated in this election. With regard to the AGM itself, I doubt there were more than half a dozen ordinary members in attendance. In every respect, a woeful situation in which apathy appears to take centre stage.​

Last edited by Iwrch; 12-06-2011 at 00:14.

Again, we seem to be architects of our own destruction.

We missed out on a decent guy here,Along with the correct observations.

BASC AGM & elections to Council
I regret to inform you that I was not successful in my bid to gain seat on Council.

My congratulations to returning vice chairman Mike Sherman, returning council member Paul Culley and new council member Claire Zambuni.

My thanks to all who cast a vote in my favour and your kind words of support in the run up to today's declarations.

Of more concern, however, should be the glaring lack of engagement in this process by members. Out of a membership of 130,000 only 2,705 participated in this election. With regard to the AGM itself, I doubt there were more than half a dozen ordinary members in attendance. In every respect, a woeful situation in which apathy appears to take centre stage.​

Last edited by Iwrch; 12-06-2011 at 00:14.

Again, we seem to be architects of our own destruction.

Its poor really as on this site alone their would be enough votes to elect two never mind one candidate

Last edited:
Back