From the NRA in the USA NRA News | A Defenseless Population
    Interesting perspective!

This ones going to be interesting...
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    From the NRA in the USA NRA News | A Defenseless Population
    Interesting perspective!
    Hi All
    I'll start then, yes they are right and i should be able to use whatever force I deem necessary if I catch somebody breaking into my property
    Geordie

It made me move to Germany.
    I could not stomach the stunt the UK government had pulled on 57000 law abiding people.
    Over my stiff dead body (I was for 7 years in the USA though, and you cannot help but soak up that stubbornness into your own mentality).
    Never regretted the move.
    Martin

Very one-sided and difficult to compare Britain to the USA where virtually everyone appears to either own or carry a handgun! I think the scenes viewed would have still happened despite the handgun ban. An interesting propaganda video though all the same!
    MS

The issue of the handgun ban and personal defence are 2 separate issues. The film attempts to portray them as linked but that's a fallacy. Personal defence with a handgun was never a legitimate reason for ownership and the ban was a quick political move from a govt that went on to make 13 years of poor decisions. I think efforts are better focused defending legitimate sporting reasons for firearms ownership rather than muddying the issue with that of self defence.

[QUOTE=Monkey Spanker;609133]Very one-sided and difficult to compare Britain to the USA where virtually everyone appears to either own or carry a handgun! [QUOTE]

Having watched the 'COPS' programme recently (a 'fly on the wall' look at policing in various US jurisdictions) what intrigued me was the lack of firearms present at the various scenes presented. For a country apparently awash in handguns they hardly ever appear and often turn up in purses or under car seats after the offender is in handcuffs. Given the melodrama inherent in a gunfight you would think editors would include as many as possible to up the ratings, but most programmes are about stoned, drunk or otherwise smacked up car thieves, shop lifters or speeders - pretty much like the UK. What is most instructive is the manner and demeanour of the officers involved, who are generally pretty impressive when compared to what you see on Essex Police Interceptors!

Lets not forget it was a Conservative Goverment that Forced the Pistol ban on UK shooters
    Seems some only remember what suits them and quote such for their own Agenda.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewW View Post
    Personal defence with a handgun was never a legitimate reason for ownership
    Er... yes it was and still is. There are a number of folk in the UK who have permission to carry a personal protection weapon. I agree that spinning the self-defence arguement as a reason to repeal the ban would be more than short sighted!