Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't always pay to believe 100% what "experts" tell you

Doesn't always pay to believe 100% what "experts" tell you

Because my lamping nights are now at an end I recently offered my Riflecraft TMR1 foxing rifle in .22/50 to a firearms dealer in East Anglia - I'll go no closer than that - to sell for me.

Well, the bloke in the shop took a dislike to it which, I suppose is fair enough if "tactical" style rifles aren't your thing but when he said he'd never heard of a "truck gun" a little bell in my mind started to tinkle gently and I went back to collect it. No question of "Customer is always right, I'd better find out about this rifle of his" more a case of "not sure I know how to sell this".

The "riflesmith" then weighed in with his opinion which had shifted a tad since I had left the rifle with him just a week earlier. "Take for example your trigger mate, it's rubbish" and proceeded to tell me that he'd had the action out of the stock and that I didn't have a Rifle Basix trigger at all. He cited the length of pull and the shape of the safety catch.

I had time today to drop the action out of the stock and here is what he failed to notice when he had dropped the stock off the action:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0942.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	29856

As to the "absolutely shocking" length of pull? Sure, it's not the way I've got the triggers set up on my range rifles but the trigger is adjustable for length of pull and if you're used to lamping off the back of a truck in the middle of winter with gloved hands, and you've been doing so for twenty-odd years you might just develop a preference for being able to get a gloved finger safely through the trigger guard onto the trigger and settled onto the target before touching off a round. Maybe that's how I've been managing to kill foxes with this rifle for the last few years....

My point in all this? Simply a reminder that not everyone tells the truth all the time and that if you're a buyer then caveat very much emptor!

A dealer. lying to try and get some extra profit !!! surely not ! ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    A dealer. lying to try and get some extra profit !!! surely not ! ?
    I reckon not. More a combination of (1) I might need to work this as it won't sell itself to my regulars and/or I get better mark up on Howas and (2) chance to malign/slander the rifle's maker.
    I wouldn't go back there to take my grandson to see Santa.

He isn't a "read it all, know everything" type who actually knows Feic all?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

And since when was every gun dealer assumed as an being an expert simply by their job title?

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    And since when was every gun dealer assumed as an being an expert simply by their job title?
    It is normal that when one has a job you have a reasonable understanding of the field that you are working in if not an expert a more indepth knowledge than the lay man.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066kieran View Post
    It is normal that when one has a job you have a reasonable understanding of the field that you are working in if not an expert a more indepth knowledge than the lay man.
    Or is it a assumption that people wrongly make? I was in Bass Pro Florida last month and oh dear oh dear, ar** & elbow springs to mind! To some it's just a job as a salesman and no different to working on the checkout in Asda. Would you ask the checkout girl in Asda for advise on a product? Obviously some gun shop sales assistants are highly knowledgeable however!

If he is selling it for you what right does he have to start stripping it?!

Quote Originally Posted by 1066kieran View Post

This could be expected to apply in certain areas of licensing?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Would you ask the checkout girl in Asda for advise on a product?
    Depends what I was after!

Unless the chap I am speaking to is a gunsmith(not seller) or I know for a fact he knows his stuff I do treat most salesmen with the same contempt as double glazing reps.After all they are there to make their cut of any sale.
    Nearly as bad as these dodgy salesmen are the "experts" that seem to spend all day sat in the local gunshop and are more than willing to give their expert views on guns,equipment and life in general