Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a bullet be this unsuitable for a specific rifle????

Can a bullet be this unsuitable for a specific rifle????

I've been loading for my 6.5x55 for a while now and it's always shot reasonable or perfect groups with anything I put down it from 95g vmax to 160g factory ammo. I decided to try a couple of new bullets: Hornady 100g soft points and Sierra 120g Prohunter. I loaded a few different powder charges and various OAL. The pic is the best group I could get from 100g Hornady SP's. so bad I thought I had a problem with my rifle. I checked my other loads and they were perfect, along with he new loads I had made of the 120g Prohunters. I know some bullets don't shoot in some rifles but I thought that meant 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards....not 4-5 inches. Anyone else seen groups as bad as this with a particular bullet?

Pretty good from 1000yds

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Pretty good from 1000yds

Agree it would be.....

Lower the coal 20 thou and see how it groups might just be the bullet needs to be sat that little further away!
    That just going on what my 30-06 grouped like when my coal was a little to much

What is your data for the load this is shooting? Powder?case trim length,primers,neck size or full,coal,bullet length?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.c View Post
    What is your data for the load this is shooting? Powder?case trim length,primers,neck size or full,coal,bullet length?
    Ive tried various combinations. Federal brass, Remmy primer, 43g H380, 45g H380 up to 48g H380(max). OAL: 2.840" up to 2.90". It's the .first time I've given up on a bullet, I've pulled The remaining 20 bullets. If/ when powder Becomes more readily available I'll give them a go with some Varget but don't want to waste any of my stock.

Does IMR 4064 shoot any good in 6.5x55? if so i've got plenty if you want to try a tub, i'd even work out a "special price" for you just to see if i can get you to open your wallet

The bullets would have to be pretty f'kd to shoot that inaccurately. Reminds me of some US surplus pulls I bought in bulk that were better fired out of a catty. Did your rifle go back to proper grouping with the other ammo right after?

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    The bullets would have to be pretty f'kd to shoot that inaccurately. Reminds me of some US surplus pulls I bought in bulk that were better fired out of a catty. Did your rifle go back to proper grouping with the other ammo right after?
    Yes mate all of my normal loads are shooting perfectly. It's a brand new unopened box, it is very weird. The 120g Sierra Prohunters I've just loads with the same powder etc are shooting half inch groups without even playing with OAL etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 204 Ruger View Post
    Yes mate all of my normal loads are shooting perfectly. It's a brand new unopened box, it is very weird. The 120g Sierra Prohunters I've just loads with the same powder etc are shooting half inch groups without even playing with OAL etc.
    Some rifles don't like some bullets. In cases like yours I seat them deep and crimp. Seating deep maximizes alignment (provided your brass is well fit to your gun) and crimping uniforms pull weight. (neck tension) If it doesn't work, I take one more look around to see that I've not screwed up anywhere and if all is well, I move on.~Muir