Howa 1500 , 243 stainless

Wallyboy

Hi looking to buy my first 243 c/f for fox and deer , been offered a new rifle as above for £500 , just wondered what people's thoughts are on this brand and model ? Or what alternatives ? Cheers Wallyboy

To be fair Howa's are excellent value for money. I've got a mate who's a keeper and he uses one to excellent effect, granted he home loads and its topped off with Swaro! As always invest maximum amount of funds in the scope. Personal preference I find Howa's a little chunky and wide. I'm sure you have but see if you can get to a gun shop and handle one or better still shoot one. It doesn't matter what end of the rifle spectrum your looking at there all significant investments so advise for what it's worth from personal experience, don't rush into anything.

I use a Howa 1500 stainless in .243w with Hoque overmoulded stock. It requires little or no maintenance/cleaning, it is very accurate, and a pleasure to handle - as it such good value go for it, and use the money saved to buy the best possible bino/scope.
Don't be seduced by the marketing men who will try to brainwash you into buying an upmarked Brand (generally starting with 'B') for four times the money - you won't shoot any more deer for it, you will just be financing their marketing budget!

I use a Howa 1500 stainless in .243w with Hoque overmoulded stock. It requires little or no maintenance/cleaning, it is very accurate, and a pleasure to handle - as it such good value go for it, and use the money saved to buy the best possible bino/scope. Don't be seduced by the marketing men who will try to brainwash you into buying an upmarked Brand (generally starting with 'B') for four times the money - you won't shoot any more deer for it, you will just be financing their marketing budget!
yes I already have a new ziess scope also so would you say that the rifle is good value at £500 ? Cheers

Have been looking at howa's recently myself, and Yes, £500 for the stainless spotter is a good deal - srp is £622 for the barrelled action alone.

Very good rifle,
weak points are the stocks just like any other lower end factory rifle. Wooden stocks can be pillar bedded and make a reasonable platform.
Another weak point is the stainless on stainless bolt/lug bearing surfaces on the stainless models. These can gal and should be greased often. Trigger is great if adjusted, no need for an aftermarket alternative.
A while back I weighed a Howa action next to a Rem 700 action. Howa is less than 2 oz heavier, meaning although the howa looks somewhat bulkier it is not much heavier than the remmy action but has the flat bottom and a proper recoil lug.
edi

Very good price for a stainless version.

Good rifles - will perform very well. Each rifle a distinct character, but 100grn RWS, 105gr Geco, 100 Fed Power Shok & 100 grn Privi amongst other tend to go very well in them. Cant honestly speak on lighter weight bullets as rarely use them.

There is always some subjectivity involved, but personally use Howa over Remington.

I remain not entirely convinced by the mark 2 '2 stage' trigger - but I'm a Taurus and change is never easy!:D Both trigger version are adjustable and those that know what they are doing - all the usual caveats can get them rather nice.

Ive looked at them and have been very impressed they seem to be avliable every where i go.
the tigger is good for the price what do others think of the triggers? Many are fitted with timmys after sale.
There are a lot of nearly new for sale i question why ,Shop around for new as prices are good and different in general

A while back I weighed a Howa action next to a Rem 700 action. Howa is less than 2 oz heavier, meaning although the howa looks somewhat bulkier it is not much heavier than the remmy action but has the flat bottom and a proper recoil lug.
edi

Intresting to know.
Probably good as a basis for a semi custom job. Triggerjob and bedding the action as a start. Seems a cheap donor action if you ever want a new barrel.

A lot of smiths, amateur and pro, use the Howa 1500 action or barreled actions for custom rifles. They are solid and accurate, and the flat bottom enables good bedding and nice lines to the stock. It is not fancy, but mechanically and looks, a lot like a cross between the Rem 700 and Sako L61R, which is not a bad thing. I have an older one in a nice walnut stock and really like it.

If you are thinking of restocking a Howa 1500, then look at a Weatherby Mk2, which is the same rifle, with an upgraded stock and trigger, and MOA guarantee.

Last edited:
I have one but I have a heavy varmit barrel.

Excellent bit of kit, however stock is crap, fit a Boyds thumbhole and it will transform it.

Very accurate, well in my case more accurate than me. Mine is an older one with a tuned trigger so good, original trigger was a bit heavy. If newer model then the new 2 stage trigger is a considerable improvement.

Mine is v heavy esp with a wildcat Predator moddy so suggest you get a lighter barrel version if possible.

Can't go wrong for £500.

D

Howas seem to represent very good value,but for an extra couple of hundred or so you could get a Tikka T3,which is probably a step up in quality. I suspect you'll be keeping the rifle for a long time,so don't rush in until you've taken a look around at the alternatives. Just a thought.

Back