Thread: Thumbs up for Scott Country and Starlight Longbow.https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.

Thumbs up for Scott Country and Starlight Longbow.https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.

Several weeks ago I ordered a Starlight Longbow form Paul at Scott Country, they did great and it only took 11 days from ordering to arriving, which is amazing! Then there were a few problems in that I had to have a custom mount made to get it onto my Sauer 202. I picked that up yesterday, took me 6 rounds to zero with the day ocular on and then last night at 22:30 I set off to try it in anger.

I have been after a big dog fox on the farm for a couple of weeks now, seen him a few times but at the merest hint of light he is away on his toes. At about 11:15 I set up the foxpro and gave a 30 second burst of distressed rabbit. One minute later he was making his way across the field from my left to right at about 150 meters, I tracked him all the way through the Longbow, he started moving diagonally and when he was about 100 meters in front of me he stopped, he looked directly at where I was but had no reaction, up to the point where he fell over.

I first used NV in about 1976/77 when we were issued with 1 NV unit per section in the army, it was a huge heavy thing that was welded onto the top cover of the SLR. At the time I was really impressed, but this Longbow unit is light, and so much more brighter, it literally turns night into day. If this is several steps behing what the military are currently using, then the MOD kit must be truly amazing.

​Anyway back on topic. I have looked at several digital NV setups and also the Startlight Archer, none come anywhere near the effectiveness and usability of the Longbow,

This was the second 3 round group whilst zeroing at 100 meters.

An possibly overcomplicated mount but it works, it is on Apel swing off mounts, so I will be putting the Zeiss back on for daytime.

And this was the result last night, 15 minutes into its forst outing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	976508_10151688638741281_1989689801_o.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	29871

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Jeez, that is a complicated looking mount. I bolted a picatinny rail on my Tika to solve that problem, but I use the archer as the longbow is a bit beyond the wife's purse strings.
    ​And try it with the nightmaster instead of the firefly. With the archer it makes a hell of a difference.

​and it is good to see your bolt is on the correct side.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Hi Neil.

glad you are getting on well with the Longbow.

Its a cracking piece of kit.

Best Regards

​Paul

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Jeez, that is a complicated looking mount. I bolted a picatinny rail on my Tika to solve that problem, but I use the archer as the longbow is a bit beyond the wife's purse strings.
    ​And try it with the nightmaster instead of the firefly. With the archer it makes a hell of a difference.

​and it is good to see your bolt is on the correct side.
    I would agree that is the correct side for the bolt.My set up is a T3 Varmint & Tikka mounts and Longbow NV.

Here is a picture of my T3 lite. As you can see the rail keeps everything nice and low. I had to have it extended out because using the archer meant I had to move the scope as far forward as I could. Works a treat now. But it is a bit more difficult to shoot in the day but I manage. I was so happy with the result that I did the same with my HMR.
    A scope with 5" or even 6" eye relief would be useful

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	309.5 KB 
ID:	32390
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

I've had a Longbow for several years now, absolutely first class piece of kit. If you get the chance try a NightMaster800 IR instead of the Quantum Firefly, you may be surprised at the result.

Hi
    Just thought I would post this for anyone that has eye relief problems with the archer or longbow

Name:	DSC02306.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	32468
    regards
    Colin

probably a stupid question - but why is the Longbow better than the archer with a decent scope? is the longbow 'modified' so it works better with NV?

The longbow comes with a scope. You can unscrew the nv and screw in a day scope eyepiece. So you do not have to worry about eye relief. Mind you, I haven't seen one never mind used one. But If anyone would like to loan me one I will be happy to do a full review. Lol