Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BASC....poaching article.

BASC....poaching article.

Anyone else read the article about poaching in the latest BASC magazine? What a joke,nothing ever happens when you report a wildlife crime.....utter crap why bother!

Quote Originally Posted by dac9976 View Post
    Anyone else read the article about poaching in the latest BASC magazine? What a joke,nothing ever happens when you report a wildlife crime.....utter crap why bother!
    If you don't report it there is no crime. Only once the data builds up is there a case for resource allocation. That's why all these criminals are being done for speeding, it's worth the resource allocation

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    If you don't report it there is no crime. Only once the data builds up is there a case for resource allocation. That's why all these criminals are being done for speeding, it's worth the resource allocation

Stan
    It's worth the resource allocation because it's an instant 60 easy cash cow instead of doing any policing . Anyway not sure if the original poster is referring to the article or the organisation that published it.
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg

Although it is getting harder to get the CPS to pursue action against poachers as a gamekeeper I will always call the police out and attempt to get action taken even if its just to inconvenience the person/persons caught.
    I've been part of a team of lads that have been very lucky with all sorts of poaching cases but even so there have been a few problems usually due to lack of knowledge by the police that have attended at the time.Having said that a lot of the police will take advice and at least try.
    ​If you don't bother some people will see it as an open invite to do as they please to your sport and the countrysides cost

One was dragged in and spent a night in the cells last week on the strength of a finger print found on a beer can that the keeper found by a dead hare. OK he was let out the next day due to lack of evidence but it was still one night spent on a thin mattress and he wasn't out poaching that night either!

yes i did read it to, and sadley your right not much is ever done about it, strangely enough this week i came across this sign while at work
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sign 1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	777.7 KB 
ID:	29892

the brambles covering it shows how much use it is, when i uncovered it, it looked like this,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sign.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	554.8 KB 
ID:	29893

I think a lot depends on the area you are in.

If people feel that they are being ignored it may be worth contacting their local Wildlife Crime bobby to see if anything like the Poacherwatch scheme could be pushed in that area

There was a poacher caught recently where I live, when the police searched his house they found on the mantle peice a photo of himself, his learcher and his shotgun resting on a red stag....he got away with it and im,pretty sure he kept his shotgun.
    we as stalkers are fighting a losing battle. The police don't have the time or the resources and many probably don't give a ****!

Trouble with the photo is he could deny using the lurcher or the gun on the stag so without physical evidence the CPS will not prosecute(they want an almost air tight case)."I was just posing for a photo officer and it wasn't even me that killed the stag" etc etc.
    As for him keeping his gun license as he wasn't convicted he is classed as an innocent man.It is hard to get a conviction but possible.People have got to work together though and if possible get a bobby or two on side.
    The thing to remember is that poaching is not something that a lot of police officers are fluent in(it was removed from the Sergants training some years ago).Some are not bothered(I've been asked what harm they are doing on more than one occasion) and some still think it is somehow romantic.

It would be good to see statistically the number of calls received with reference to 'rural crime' that turns out to be legitimate stalking or other country pursuits v 'actual' crime. The invention of the mobile phone might disadvantage legitimate hunters as walkers, dog walkers etc. may be placing calls to the police only for the police to see it as another red herring, wasting their time thus, statistically they may as well not place the resource on further investigation as most turn out legitimate?