Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the last leg in the oven

the last leg in the oven

this coment may not seem that important to those of you who are lucky enough to have a regular supply of venison. i have just roasted mt last leg of roe after many legs i have mastered this type of cooking. after its resting as per usual i cut a slither for me and my boy. he came off his f--ck-- x box and asked for more ,if you are anything like me you can appreciate the huge grin on my face. the 4 of us are now about to tuck in . i hope that this feeling never leaves me not just deer but ducks geese pheasant rabbit ect ect . its a very basic feeling but i pity those who dont get it . bon app atit

I know what you mean! I'm lucky enough with my kids that they will come off the computers etc. to come rabbkt/pigeon shooting with me - I get left with the butchering though I'm currently havkng a short break in the middle of butchering 57 rabbits from last night/this morning.

keep at tea bag

only about 10 left to do! Then take the dog for a walk before chilling out. I'm glad that the kids gut and skin them for me before we bring then home though, they love getting blood all over themselves unless it is their own!

my daughter is 6 and she enjoyed a rabbit snichsnell the other week. sorry for the spelling. its so easy to go and get a takaway guys its up to us to teach them

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    my daughter is 6 and she enjoyed a rabbit snichsnell the other week. sorry for the spelling. its so easy to go and get a takaway guys its up to us to teach them
    I like the sound of that toad , sorry to hijack the thread but how do you make it? We had roe steak on the barby this evening all three of my kids love it but could do with something to get them back into rabbit as they've gone off it a bit lately.

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    I have been asked to provide up to 40 rabbits, 40 pigeons and one deer carcass for the local scout camp in two weekends time. I have provided the fur and feather for their evening lessons so they should be fine when they get a grid ref and find their unprocessed dinner waiting for them. How many other young lads and lasses from non shooting families know where their food comes from let alone how to prepare it? This scout master is a bit of a Ray Mears type and good on him. I hope these teenagers pass on their skills to their children too! Like you say Toad, 'it up to us to teach them'.

Can't beat it better than most of the sht you buy at the old super market robbers.

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    I like the sound of that toad , sorry to hijack the thread but how do you make it? We had roe steak on the barby this evening all three of my kids love it but could do with something to get them back into rabbit as they've gone off it a bit lately.
    i had a great result with rabbit last week. Cut out the loins then put in tub with olive oil garlic and thyme. leave for a few hours. Line up two fillets top to tail so you get an even thickness. Wrap in panchetta with a slight overlap so the entire fillet is covered. wrap in clingfilm and tie knots in either end so you are left with an airtight sausage. steam for 4 mins. wait to cool for a bit. remove clingfilm and fry on high heat till the panchetta golden and crisp. rest for 5-10 mins then cut into slices and serve. worth the faff.

KFC style rabbit, it's cracking.