Thread: My New 17 Hornet

My New 17 Hornet

Picked up my new Savage 25 in 17 Hornet flavour last Thursday.
    Its nice and light and perfect for walking around picking off vermin on my permissions.

I took it out on Friday for a zero. It was a sunny day but a bit windy. Think it was about 10 MPH gusting winds.
    I got to my favourite zeroing spot along a disused track with intermittent barns and outbuildings along it to cover me from most of the wind.
    Took me about 4 shots to get it were I wanted.

I put a fresh target up and the pic below is the result.
    Just over half an inch in winds at 100 yards.

Im well chuffed with this new rifle.

Attachment 29897Attachment 29898

what are you paying for ammo as a matter of interest
    a barony original

I've got a slot for a 17 hornet, but cannot decide whether to buy a Savage or to wait until CZ bring theirs into the country. According to Edgar Bros it will not be until at least October . The write ups for both appear to be very good. At the moment I'm using a CZ 17 HMR American which I cannot fault , its an awesome tool .
    The problem is that I'm impatient and I want one now.
    David

Its a nice rifle. For end is a bit flexi but it didn't effect the accuracy on the bi-pod.
    The mag release catch is a bit flimsy. You could very easily loose a mag if you dont keep an eye on it.
    Apart from that I like it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimnydriver View Post
    I've got a slot for a 17 hornet, but cannot decide whether to buy a Savage or to wait until CZ bring theirs into the country. According to Edgar Bros it will not be until at least October . The write ups for both appear to be very good. At the moment I'm using a CZ 17 HMR American which I cannot fault , its an awesome tool .
    The problem is that I'm impatient and I want one now.
    David

If you want a CZ 17hh i know of one that it coming up for sale. Its the 22 cz hornet that has been rebarreled to 17. very very night rifle. i just wish i had the money as i would have bought it.

njc110181 is who you need to speak to.

atb

​Phil.

Ref the Savage 25, I filled my stock with epoxy and it's nice and stiff, if a bit heavier!
    You might need to angle and polish the feed ramp if you use Berger HPs as they collide with it.
    Also, I needed to clean up the port as there were some burrs on it that stopped the round ejecting sometimes...easy job with a chainsaw file.

Also got a Rifle Basix trigger as the AccuTrigger has a bad habit of trapping the bolt if you let go of the trigger before it's fully forward (there's a slight recess behind the bold head for it to lock into)...polishing the AccuTrigger also got rid of the stageyness.

Watch out if you take the action out of the stock as the magazine ejector spring is horridly sharp!

BTW 1/4" UNF x 3/4" stainless Allen bolts are a good replacement for the kitty-cat tins ones put in by Savage...

Also, I needed to clean up the port as there were some burrs on it that stopped the round ejecting sometimes...easy job with a chainsaw file.

I know what you mean ref the rounds not ejecting, Ive had this on a few occasions. I just put it down to being new and might take a few hundred rounds through it to get the working parts smooth