Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a rifle for my daughter

a rifle for my daughter

my daughter is coming up for 2 yrs old (20 months to be exact and can identify 4 of the uk 6 already by picture)

my ticket is in for renewal , now im thinking ahead of what calibre to add to my ticket for her when she is ready plus need to get her rifle sorted before the mrs plans another one !!!!!

im not faffing about with rimfires i dont shoot bunnies so straight in the deep end with the centrefires and im thinking 25-06 , but somthing is telling me 243 (my 270 might be a tad robust at such an early age)

i have already put aside a roe buck for her and by the time she is 5-6 her he will be a belter .

i hope when im pushing up the daisies she will take the rains and carry on my managing my permissions.

so what do you think ?

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

She might grow up to be a tree hugger, some of the universities these days have a lot to answer for

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    my daughter is coming up for 2 yrs old (20 months to be exact and can identify 4 of the uk 6 already by picture)

my ticket is in for renewal , now im thinking ahead of what calibre to add to my ticket for her when she is ready plus need to get her rifle sorted before the mrs plans another one !!!!!

im not faffing about with rimfires i dont shoot bunnies so straight in the deep end with the centrefires and im thinking 25-06 , but somthing is telling me 243 (my 270 might be a tad robust at such an early age)

i have already put aside a roe buck for her and by the time she is 5-6 her he will be a belter .

i hope when im pushing up the daisies she will take the rains and carry on my managing my permissions.

so what do you think ?
    I think you may have posted with understandable pride but too much haste!

Pitty you can't use the 222 as this is all but perfect.

Cheers

K

Moderated 6.5x55 with 120gr ammo should be ok for a 5/6 year old.

Make sure there's a low bipod, have a filled bag under the stock, and she should be fine.

Oh, and I'd only let her shoot prone at this stage, as she'd probably fly off the back of a chair if shooting off a bench...

Cheers
    iain
    (What a way to use my 1,000th post!!)
    PS For the record, and for the avoidance of any doubt, I am being sarcastic in all the above
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 01-07-2013 at 12:04.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    ....so what do you think ?
    Think you're bonkers and hope you are joking.

Do we really think that a child of 5-6 years old will be able to understand, manage, hold and maintain the aim and cleanly kill a deer when most on here openly admit they struggle to pass the DSC1 shooting assessment?

It's a great idea and admire the concept, but as she will be under 14, legally you are on exceptionally sticky ground. The two exemptions provide no 'way around this'; a gun bearer may not use the firearm and rifle club restrictions are for training or target purposes only.

Not to rain on the parade, but think you might have to take that Roebuck yourself, but am sure there will be others when she is old enough.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

My thoughts are too much, too soon. As others have said, give it time, it may not even be that she will be interested in shooting and "forcing" her to shoot may prove counterproductive. I would also go the air rifle / 22LR route first, purely to drill in safety and familiarisation before advancing to the big stuff. You 've got to walk before you can run. My lad , who is 11 has been shooting with the 22LR since he was 8. He isn't mad keen but gets asked if he wants to come shooting each time I go to the range. I am not pushing it, if he wants to shoot more often he knows who to come to.

At this rate it won't be long before we have a thread starting something like this ;
    I am about to make my girlfriend pregnant and if we have a boy I would like to know your feelings about me getting him a twenty bore.
    However, if it's a girl, i would like to consider getting a .22rf so that she can start her shooting career on targets.
    What do the site members think

A 6.5 x 55 is a good girls gun. Especially a Blaser!
    MS

Thats .243 out as not enough gun for deer maybe one of the 6.5's as a started caliber then onto a real Girls gun as she gets bigger.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I would like to consider getting a .22rf so that she can start her shooting career on targets.
    What do the site members think
    Just get her a .22 HORNET!