Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This makes me so angry, if this were France it would not happen!!!!!

This makes me so angry, if this were France it would not happen!!!!!

I was talking to the free range chicken farmer on one of the pieces of land I shoot the foxes on. We were just chatting and putting the world to rights when he said that Freedom Foods had indicated that if any of the Freedom Foods accredited farms take part in the badger cull, they would be suspended. I said are you sure, that is a remarkably political gesture, so he told me to go look it up and I did.

So we have supermarkets not taking their dairy products from farms in the scheme and calling it "Badger Friendly" and now this. In Frace wher the farmers actually stick together they would simply tell these organisations to F Off, you are not getting anything more until you accept the inevitable. How long would M&S or Morrison's hold out if they were getting no agricultural produce at all?

Freedom Food repeats badger cull warning - Farming UK news

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Yes it makes my blood boil too, the bloody rspca again, freedom foods are a joke anyway all they serve to do is keep jumped up self important busybodies in a job, the farmers really should take a stand on this,and as for the rspca well the organisation should lose its royal status, and be exposed for what it really is a money making scam of an organisation, that has real animal welfare well and truly at the rear of its list of priorities.

Those organisations are commercial concerns. They make decision solely on that basis. Their accountants feel that supporting the anti will preserve/ generate more money than the other way round.

Why? Because they are right! Why? Because the anti's have sufficient unity to be able to mount co-ordinated action - whether it be 8000 letters or something else.

Would shooters ever be that united and prepared to tell someone - 'I will not shop with you because'
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

The consumer & the retailers have all the power the farmers just do as they are told produce when & what is required by the retailers-consumers or go out of business. Recently the milk dispute!
    The retailers would source products from abroad and run a very effective advertising campaign telling the consumer that despite the air miles it is more ethical on animal welfare grounds to use non UK suppliers even though some know thats not true and consumers would accept it as they have swallowed all the other consumer stuff-fair trade etc
    UK retailers would rather do business abroad they really do not like UK farmers-growers and would drop them pretty damn quick if they could completely.

Advertising is a very powerfull medium and the retailers have more money than they know what to do with the big guys will always win.
    Last edited by patjack; 01-07-2013 at 13:34.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Why is it up to the RSPCA to give thier seal of approval on "freedom foods" anyway. Surley if enough farmers oppted out of or the NFU set up a simlar more credible scheme the it it would be irelevent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart308 View Post
    Why is it up to the RSPCA to give thier seal of approval on "freedom foods" anyway. Surley if enough farmers oppted out of or the NFU set up a simlar more credible scheme the it it would be irelevent.
    because Mrs Consumer who can only differentiate meat based on the colour of the plastic wrapping can relate to the RSPCA looking after the poor fluffy animals, whereas she thinks that bad Mr NFU Farmer cannot be trusted not to flog his cows daily....

Its not up to the RSPCA, but it is a promotional scheme which uses RSPCA endorsements to increase sales....

I hope that there will be a specially branded milk carton which promotes milk coming from badger cull regions as having a lower TB risk....

I think you'r right,and a disgusting attitude which,unfortunately seems rife in this country.

We had a situation recently on Anglesey,basically where the local ASDA shop stopped it's order for welsh lamb from a local processing plant on the island,with possibble 350 jobs beying lost,a massive loss to such a small island,purely because they were able to source meat cheaper within the UK.
    I really don't understand why we accept such things.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-21107663

http://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/11...-decision.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    I hope that there will be a specially branded milk carton which promotes milk coming from badger cull regions as having a lower TB risk....
    Thanks for the 'smiley' Tim which I'm returning. It would never be possible to prove this so the Advertising Standards Authority would force the removal of such a misleading claim.

Milk from TB infected cows is regularly sold as pasteurisation makes it safe.

Although I didn't know this until recently, meat from infected cows is also sold (actually by DEFRA) for human consumption. There really is no risk to public health as the politicians seem now to be claiming.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

The only hope re this badger nonsense is to gently nudge Joe Public from apathy to sympathy for farmers re TB by letting them know at every opportunity how much it costs said Joe Public to put all those cattle down.

Joe Public should be made aware that the Badger hoovers up the eggs and nestlings of any ground-nesting bird species he may come across hence the shortage of Lapwing, Curlew, Skylark etc. in areas infested with this pest.

HWH.