Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eurostar Baggage Search

Eurostar Baggage Search

Hi
    I just wondering if this might be a problem
    On my way to France recently I was subjected to a thorough baggage search before we boarded. I have no problem with that - they are doing this for our safety
    Our bags were also subjected to some sort of 'sniffing' device - I asked the operator what they were looking for but she wasn't very forthcoming.
    My wife suggested that if they were trying to find traces of explosives might they stand a good chance of finding some as some of my baggage has been stored in the same room that I use to reload in
    Any thoughts anyone?
    ​Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    Hi
    I just wondering if this might be a problem
    On my way to France recently I was subjected to a thorough baggage search before we boarded. I have no problem with that - they are doing this for our safety
    Our bags were also subjected to some sort of 'sniffing' device - I asked the operator what they were looking for but she wasn't very forthcoming.
    My wife suggested that if they were trying to find traces of explosives might they stand a good chance of finding some as some of my baggage has been stored in the same room that I use to reload in
    Any thoughts anyone?
    ​Ed
    50/50 chance of a "wipe down" if using the tunnel so I always have my certs with me.
    Full airport checks London and Paris, but since my luggage never goes near my shooting kit, I don't bother taking certs

Just take a copy of your cert if it makes you feel better, they will not be bothered at all when you tell them your a registered gun owner......they are really looking for smugglers etc
    Enjoy yourself ........it's later than you think !!

2p worth
    i just have my cert number in my phone and tell them that i'am a uk firearms holder so thay may detect ! , if something happens i'v had it at orlando int airport with no big probs. as you say its for our own good .

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    Hi I just wondering if this might be a problem On my way to France recently I was subjected to a thorough baggage search before we boarded. I have no problem with that - they are doing this for our safety Our bags were also subjected to some sort of 'sniffing' device - I asked the operator what they were looking for but she wasn't very forthcoming. My wife suggested that if they were trying to find traces of explosives might they stand a good chance of finding some as some of my baggage has been stored in the same room that I use to reload in Any thoughts anyone? ​Ed
    Your wife's correct. They swab your bags with this little cloth to detect traces of explosives. I asked them when they first acquired the machine what it was for and they were quite open about it. It worried me that I may indeed have traces of explosives in my clothes, but I've been through it several times and it doesn't seem that the stuff we use registers, or more likely it's not what they're after. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't wrap your sandwiches in foil though, their scanners can't penetrate it properly and then they empty all your luggage. Use plastic.

Yes it's correct, there are 2 machines, baringer & egis (excuse the spelling) I was part of a defensive search team during the construction of the Etiad stadium prior to the commonwealth games and was swabbed & tested at the start of every tour of duty. Not sure which but the firearms / shotgun residue on me (even after showering) used to send one of the machines crazy. I was nearly dropped from the team but stopped shooting for the duration of the operation.
    I believe there is now a machine to sniff for drugs as well
    Wingy

A company called Thermedics build bomb and drug detection equipment that uses photionisation to detect these items. They suck around all the baggage with a dustbuster style battery vac them blow the sample into the machine where it is subjected to light of a specific wave length that produces a reaction to specific compounds.

Jim

Hi there

Had my briefcase handles swabbed a couple of times and been stopped. More of an irritation than an issue - certainly made the guys at airport wake up at 5am. I tend to travel with my FAC as its the only other photo ID I have so a quick flash and everyones pulse rate returned to normal. It's a good idea though to keep your FAC number to hand and keeping it on your phone is a good idea.

FN

The "swab explosive detector" is also used at airports. as I found out. Travelling with a Bergen side pouch as hand luggage that was quite used to carrying ammunition etc., explosive residue was detected as I went through the security and x-ray check. I was also carrying six diving weights in the side pouch to avoid excess baggage.

Well you might have guessed, explosive traces and 6 dark black objects in my bag. All hell broke loose!

I used to make bomb disposal robots and I had been doing some training with a customer blowing stuff up (great fun) and a day later I had to travel to Ireland of all places and foolishly wore the same Barbour jacket...

the same sniffer device went mental...oh here we go I thought...

"Sir, have you been near any explosive devices?"

"Er, well yes, I have actually..." Some more security people then appeared!

they were very good though when I explained to them and they were more interested in hearing about the robots than concerned about bomb residue on my Barbour! (That was the same jacket which on a flight to Ireland they had taken my toothpaste off me but I arrived in Cork and found half a pocket full of 12G carts lol!