Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mentor needed

Mentor needed

I have about 30a of land in the new forest, near brokenhurst.

i have been given permission to shoot deer by the land owner, and whilst there rabbit shooting i have seen several roe and muntjack, not loads, but then ive not really looked too hard as been paying attention to other things.

The FEO visited the land and approved it for .22 and 17hmr, i asked if he could consider approval for a .243 he said it would be ok if i get a mentor, and id need a letter from a mentor before he would issue my variation.

i asked if he would waive the mentor if i did the dsc1, but he feels that actual experiance of shooting deer is more important.

so im looking for a mentor, that is either willing to show me the ropes on my permission or his, if on my permission i would need a letter so i can put in for my variation. Then that will take some weeks to come through.

im a totally newbie as far as deer goes, stalked plenty of bunnies.. So am looking for someone that is willing to teach a little more rather than just say "theres a deer shoot it!"

im also not sure there is a major deer problem on the land, so dont want to go all out and shoot everything, just enough for the pot :-)

​So if you think you would be willing to do this please PM me to discuss terms

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I'll help you on one condition, you do DSC1 aswell
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I was considering doing the dsc1 anyway, and submitting a booking receipt with my variation request, already looked at costs with jelen deer.

and as time goes by i would like to continue trying to get more land and the dsc1 would probably make this easier

Quote Originally Posted by searley View Post
    so im looking for a mentor, that is either willing to show me the ropes on my permission or his, if on my permission i would need a letter so i can put in for my variation. Then that will take some weeks to come through.
    If you can find someone to help who has an open ticket they can take you on your ground with their rifle.
    If your going to go on someone else's ground you might as well just book a stalk with a guide or jelen.
    Good luck.

Matt.

Would it be worth asking the FEO in writing what exactly the public safety worries are that he thinks will be addressed by you being made to have a (presumably 'conditioned') mentor before you get the variation for the .243?

I'm not surprised that the FEO would suggest that you get yourself at least one informal mentor to help you learn about deer and how to stalk, shoot and subsequently deal with them, and I'm sure that he'll note your desire to do so as very much supporting your clear 'good reason to possess' a .243. However, a backstop is a backstop and if you're using a .22LR safely, it seems reasonable that you should be able to do the same with a .243.

As i say, 'mentoring' is not just a good thing to get, but sensible and probably neccessary. 'Conditioned mentoring', however, is in my view likely to prove pointlessly restrictive and a pain in both your bum and that of the 'conditioned mentor'.

SD Regular
    Was it not the CC of Hampshire Constabulary who recently pushed through the ACPO reforms regarding the removal of unnecessary conditions and spoke specifically about the mentor clause not being appropriate? I would certainly appeal the mentoring clause proposal, although 30 acres is a small plot for a centre fire calibre.

I would still aim to learn as much as you can, as you have indicated via accompanying more experienced people and by taking advantage of the courses that are out there.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5/284matt View Post
    If you can find someone to help who has an open ticket they can take you on your ground with their rifle.
    If your going to go on someone else's ground you might as well just book a stalk with a guide or jelen.
    Good luck.

Matt.
    i think i will start with the dsc1 course . Through jelen, this way i have some knowlege prior to going anywhere near a deer.

if sucessful with the dsc1 i will meet with the FEO and discuss mentoring, and paid stalks..

​in the meantime if anyone is willing to mentor PM me, and i will contact you a little closer to the time, im in no hurry, as i would rather do it right and not just rush things

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    ...although 30 acres is a small plot for a centre fire calibre.
    I'm not sure that this is a very helpful observation. I'd say that the fact the FEO has not hauled the OP up on the size of his ground counts very much in the FEO's favour - unlike his conditioned mentoring idea.

Hi Searley.

Did the visiting feo mention anything about only shooting from high seats?

You might be pleasantly surprised by the number of deer visiting your ground. Have you got a cam you can put up in the mean time.

Good luck

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...