Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.3x62 suggestions

9.3x62 suggestions

Anyone load for the 9.3x62? Looking for a good load with Barnes or some other monolithic solid.I have some limited experience with nosler partitions, privi, and speer hotcore, but looking to expand my options with high-end bullets suitable for an Alaskan Brown bear hunt. Any help appreciated.

I've only used Noslers , Speers and Normas in mine, but I do have a hunting buddy who's used the Barnes bullets in his 9.3x62 and 9.3x64 for a while now. I'll pick his brain and get back to you.

AB

Try HAWK bullets, if theyre still around. I used them in CZ and they were accurate.

Talked to my shooting partner, he's only used the 250 gr TSX in his 9.3x62. He took the load from Wolfes publishing Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges. He's using 53 grs of 3031, standard primers and rws brass for just over 2300 fps. According to him this load is a bit on the warm side in his rifle, so as always, I'd start lower and work up. He says they worked really well on 1 moose and a very large black bear. Hope this helps.

AB

Have you looked at Woodleigh bullets, just a thought?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Have you looked at Woodleigh bullets, just a thought?
    Most of the reviews I have seen involving Woodleighs were not too flattering! Both categories for weight retention , as well as for grouping, reported poorly when compared to others. I do realize that it could be just one gun writer doing a different twist on the same tests for different publications, but just seemed a bit of a caution to steer clear of them!
    Anyone else have any direct experience with woodleighs?

9.3x62 is a cartridge I've not tried but would certainly like to at some point !
    We've ordered a pair of CZ550FS rifles chambered for the cartridge for customers in the past .

Closest I've done to it is the 35 Whelen . For some reason the 338-06 and 9.3x62 have appealed to me but the Whelen not to much so, even though I've owned a Whelen a couple times .

Quote Originally Posted by browning525 View Post
    Most of the reviews I have seen involving Woodleighs were not too flattering! Both categories for weight retention , as well as for grouping, reported poorly when compared to others. I do realize that it could be just one gun writer doing a different twist on the same tests for different publications, but just seemed a bit of a caution to steer clear of them!
    Anyone else have any direct experience with woodleighs?
    You may well be right about it only being the view of one writer because every review I have read about Woodleigh bullets has praised them. I can'tt comment myself as I have yet to try them but I know that Kynoch use them in their larger calibres which are supposed to be of the highest quality.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

May I suggest you go and ask this over at Express Rifles on their forums. I believe there are several uses of 9.3's over there and those chaps do like their Big Game hunting.

The Nitroexpress website also has good data...