Thread: red sirloin

red sirloin

butchered a red after being in the chiller for a week a nice young animal and we had the sirloin for steak last night just on the griddle with salt and pepper then into the oven for 10 mins.
    i made a mushroom sauce and also a cheesy leak sauce with wedges and it was very tender I have to say i was very impressed as it was the first time eating red.
    texture wise it had more grain than roe and my wife prefared it as it was more akin to beef
    my wife doesnt like the roe steak as the texture to her seems too fine unless the haunches are done in the oven and it seems more lamb like ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Wayne and i feel there lies the problem with venison sales my old aunt loves Red deer and while out for a night she ordered venison she told me it was horrible and she would not eat it again. I explained that what she had was most probably roe deer (Time of year) . She then asked how can she make sure it is the red deer she prefers that she gets on her plate. ??????> I did not have a definitive answer for her.

This very dish from a winter doe butchered and frozen within 2 hrs (not hung) but smeared in much butter after soaking in marinade for 24hrs, recently converted my daughter who hitherto would only eat rabbit. In fact she had seconds which is unheard of.

If only all venison could be so presented .......................

K

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    wife doesnt like the roe steak as the texture to her seems too fine unless the haunches are done in the oven and it seems more lamb like ,atb wayne

I had the grandkids round but them being funny sarah had already done there tea before i got in when jack asked what we were having i replied i was cooking steak ,he said i like steak so i quicky did a small piece for him and ruby to try no parents were present so i did it medium for them well two plates empty and big smiles all round i packed them off home with a fillet each for there barby at the weekend another two converts.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

One to convert the bunny huggers and a variation on a fantastically simple Keith Floyd dish thatís hard to beat when mopped up with fresh crusty bread:

Baby Rabbit With Braised Peas & Lettuce

Ingredients:
    Peas
    Fresh mint leaves
    Baby onions
    Lardons of bacon
    Young rabbit off the bone
    Butter
    Little gem lettuce or cos
    Salt/Pepper
    White wine

Method:
    Heat some butter in a big pan and throw in the lardons and small rabbit chunks to cook out, soften and colour.
    Roughly chop the lettuce.
    Add the onions to the lardons/rabbit and fry gently.
    Add the lettuce and mint leaves and a little salt.
    Stir well adding a glug of wine and tip in the peas.
    Stir round well to mix.
    Cover and simmer until tender, stirring from time to time.
    Keep all the steam in the braise.
    Add a little butter from time to time.
    Season as necessary.

K

My mate shot a ten pointer last year,nothing left in the guts whatsoever and probably an inch of fat,really think neck,not smelly so I assume it was just starting to come into the rut.
    He gave me two sirloins,and they were by far the nicest steaks I have ever eaten,and like you wayne i make mine with a sauce,just red wine,and some mustard,salt pepper and add gravy granules,delicious.